Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Best Cd burning Software in Mojave? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406189)

lampmusic 09-03-2019 04:35 PM

Best Cd burning Software in Mojave?

What is the best Cd burning software these days. We typically burn a Master CD for clients and occasionally setup CD text for small run CD duplication.

I'm a long time Toast user. I have not tried toast 18 that's out now.

I've also noticed Wavelab Essential

cwsand 09-03-2019 07:09 PM

Re: Best Cd burning Software in Mojave?

Toast works for me. I haven't tried it on Mojave but I don't know why it wouldn't work fine.

globaleric 09-03-2019 11:48 PM

Toast 18 has no CD burning related enhancements compared to Toast 17.

Especially a (IMHO crucial) feature for exporting the track list in whatever useful format is still missing since Roxio/Corel integrated the former separate "Jam" CD Authoring app into Toast many years ago.
With Jam 6, you could at least print the track list as PDF. Now with Toast you can send only a @#&*!! screenshot (bitmap) of the track list to someone else creating the CD cover, so they can't copy&paste e.g. complex track names or the track lengths anymore in order to avoid typos. :mad:

Toast 17 installs and runs fine on Mojave, so in case someone still opts for Toast, get V17 whenever it's offered cheaper than 18 if only used for burning/authoring CDs.

jwilkers 09-04-2019 10:52 AM

Anyone ever tried CD burning in Studio One?
That's what I bought it for, but have never had to use it yet.

AlexLakis 09-04-2019 11:04 AM

DSP Quattro user here on Mojave. Everything works, although the program itself feels kinda clunky.
I miss CD Architect.

musicman691 09-04-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLakis (Post 2537140)
DSP Quattro user here on Mojave. Everything works, although the program itself feels kinda clunky.
I miss CD Architect.

Stay away from DSP Quattro 5. There's a few bugs Stefano refuses to address. One is saving projects. You can't depend on the program remembering where you told it to save so if you're in the habit of using the Mac shortcut of cmd-S to do a save you will be surprised when you find out it didn't save it to where you thought it was supposed to save it.

The other bug is it doesn't properly recognize names for custom presets you make whether inside the program or not. They all come up with a generic name 'untitled'. Frustrating. And we STILL don't have a pencil tool for editing waveforms. The batch processor is pretty good though.

After spending too much time with the program and developer I'm doing all my CD assemblage in Wavelab Essentials.

I also miss CD Architect from when I ran a Windows system. Shame Sony never ported it over to the Mac or even updated the Windows version - I think it's still at v5.2.

Alex:
There's a couple of announced updates to Quattro - you have to go to the site and download them.

AlexLakis 09-04-2019 06:25 PM

Yeah, I haven't been impressed. Very buggy program, "recent projects" list doesn't populate, doesn't maximize on double-click, clunky managing of cross-fades, no backwards compatibility just to name a few.

Wavelab looks nice, but it requires a separate dongle?

emodespacher 09-04-2019 09:43 PM

pls look at HOFA CD Burner. the design is rather special but workes great. all professional functions there and all own external plugins for use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicman691 09-05-2019 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLakis (Post 2537169)
Yeah, I haven't been impressed. Very buggy program, "recent projects" list doesn't populate, doesn't maximize on double-click, clunky managing of cross-fades, no backwards compatibility just to name a few.

Wavelab looks nice, but it requires a separate dongle?

Wavelab Pro requires a separate key; Elements doesn't as it can use software authorization.

Stefano concentrated more on making the program look like Logic that he forgot basic functionality. The backwards functionality went away when he made things consolidated so you no longer had separate files like you did in Version 4. And if you look at your disk space and look at the session file DSPQ 5 creates especially if you're doing a whole cd you'll see it duplicates the audio files. So you now have two copies of the audio files whereas in DSPQ 4 it only referenced the original files.
Quote:

Originally Posted by emodespacher (Post 2537179)
pls look at HOFA CD Burner. the design is rather special but workes great. all professional functions there and all own external plugins for use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The version that hosts third party plugins is CD Burner Pro and that only allows vst3 format plugins. And is more expensive than Wavelab Elements at 139.9 euros and $154.58 US (both are intro prices). Something the HOFA program does that I think is neat is you can automate plugin parameters.

One limitation with Wavelab Elements is you can only have two fx slots per cd track but the easy way around that is to use Blue Cat Patchwork although I haven't specifically tried that. I do all my cd burning work now in Elements; went and tried DSPQ 5 again (I own it as an upgrade from DSPQ 4) just to see if maybe I was mistaken in my usage - nope.

JFreak 09-05-2019 05:07 AM

I've been using soundBlade (they also offer a cheap 90day LE subscription if the full price seems outrageous)