Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Upgrade from PT 8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402066)

PTPerson 11-23-2018 12:29 AM

Upgrade from PT 8

Howdy,

I have an HDX system with 2018.4... going great, love it.

I also have a TDM system running V 8.0.

I would like to update that license to V9.. how do I go about this?

My 2018 version was not part of an upgrade from v8.

Cheers,
Stefan.

Darryl Ramm 11-23-2018 12:51 AM

Re: Upgrade from PT 8

There are no ways to do this except buy a used license from somebody.

Why go to 9 HD and not a more capable 10 HD?

PTPerson 11-23-2018 01:04 AM

Yep 10 would be great... I just thought upgrading my v8 license would be an easier step.

Either way, it looks like I'm stoofed.

Darryl Ramm 11-23-2018 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTPerson (Post 2506615)
Yep 10 would be great... I just thought upgrading my v8 license would be an easier step.

Either way, it looks like I'm stoofed.

Huh? You have lots of choices. Go buy a used 10 HD license or buy a new Perpetual Pro Tools Ultimate License... which also gives you a Pro Tools 10 HD license, and would also let you run 2018 Ultimate software native on your non-HD/TDM rig. So you have cheap and more expensive/flexible options. Or hell just toss the TDM hardware, do you really need it? Lots of options you just need to make a decision. Besides needing it for TDM hardware do you need HD/Ultimate software features? If not that makes abandoning TDM easier.

PTPerson 11-23-2018 01:42 AM

Yes I need the TDM hardware, obviously.. otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I'm well aware of buying licenses... the whole point of my post was to check if my 8.0 license was upgradable.

Southsidemusic 11-23-2018 08:06 AM

Sorry to say that PT8 isn’t possible to upgrade as Darryl said.

The upgrade options starts at PT9.

I seen quite a few PT9HD licenses with combo so you get HD9/HD10 for around 400-500 USD perpetual.

Best of Luck and hope you find a good option that suits you :-)

Darryl Ramm 11-23-2018 08:37 AM

Uh Chris no I gave correct info.

“Upgrade options”: there are no upgrade options from what he has... PT8HD does not qualify for any Avid upgrade.

“buy used license options”: You can purchase a used license for PT9 HD... but why bother... go pick up a used license for PT 10HD. Who cares if that has a 9HD bundle or not. If on TDM I would focus on getting on 10HD.

The PT8HD license is effectively worthless and does not help here... which I think is the root of his question. But just buying a used HD 10 license is not too expensive.

And you can find a used HD9 license, transfer that license, and then upgrade to the latest bundled license through Avid, likely not worth the hassle, including ongoing annual charges.

If this is a one man shop, there is already a 10 HD license in the combo license for the HDX system if it has a perpetual license...and that could just be used on the PT 10HD system, just with the inconvenience of swapping iLoks.

Southsidemusic 11-23-2018 09:16 AM

Just bad wording from me. I mean that sorry it isn’t upgradable as Darryl said but I see it can be read like you gave the wrong info :p

I will fix it now!