Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Finally - going to PT2019.x (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405801)

musicman691 08-01-2019 04:06 AM

Finally - going to PT2019.x

Finally I'm going to get the upgrade to PT2019.x from PT11.3.2. I know - it's taken me a while but now I have the time and funds to do so considering I'm no longer supporting Plugin Alliance (but that's for another thread here). In advance of that I've been doing my due diligence and have a couple of questions.

The first is licensing. Looking at this FAQ page http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...o-Pro-Tools-12 and considering the FAQ hasn't been updated in like 2 years does this still apply now? The PT2019 pages in the Avid store don't seem to say anything on that and the Sweetwater site also says nothing although I seem to remember they did at one time. I don't need access to PT10 but PT11 I need as I also have it on a second boot partition running OSX 10.10.5 so I can use NI's B4II. If I lose it I'll be sad but can deal with it. One thing to the positive if all I get is a license for 2019 then I can drop the other boot partition and just keep the one with OSX 10.12.6.

Second is Avid Cloud and Avid Link - have read several posts about how they're not really needed and on uninstall them. Being that I'm installing 2019 fresh will there be an option to NOT install them?

Lastly for now - is there any advantage to buying direct from Avid or buy from Sweetwater.

quick update:
I know it's been said before and I'll repeat it - the Avid store can be confusing. Going through a strange path I found this page https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&sku=DYNA 20008&isCSRFlow=true&portalUser=&store=
where it mentions getting PT 10/11/12 so that's cleared up. I guess they mean PT2019 - why hasn't the page been updated? I'd imagine this is what I would need to purchase right? Dumb questions I know but I'd rather ask ahead of time.

Being I haven't gone through to putting things in a cart - does Avid accept PayPal?

originalscottyg 08-01-2019 06:55 AM

Re: Finally - going to PT2019.x

I'm not sure about the 10/11/12 bundle, as they've changed who gets/keeps it so many times, I can't keep up.

As far as Avid Link & Avid Cloud, there is no way to not install them, but the uninstaller show up in applications and take only moments to uninstall. It's the first thing I do after every install.

musicman691 08-01-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2534300)
I'm not sure about the 10/11/12 bundle, as they've changed who gets/keeps it so many times, I can't keep up.

As far as Avid Link & Avid Cloud, there is no way to not install them, but the uninstaller show up in applications and take only moments to uninstall. It's the first thing I do after every install.

I hear what you're saying about the changes as regards what gets bundled. Even more confusing when as I understand it when buying 2019 new you only get 2019 but if you do the upgrade/reinstatement/ whatever the bleep it's called you get (or got) the license asset bundle.

So it's install and then uninstall. Seems backwards as other programs I know let you do a custom install - why can't that happen with Avid?

ChuckS 08-01-2019 08:48 AM

Call Sweetwater for help with navigating all the upgrade options from Avid. They'll also provide some support beyond installation. For whatever reason, I thought the 10,11,12 ship had sailed a while back, but your link contradicts that. If Sweetwater were to steer you wrong, I would think they would accept some responsibility and make it right. You can determine that on contact.

Ray Lyon 08-01-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

I did not know this was possible. Does it free up any processing or assets for PT?

musicman691 08-01-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 2534311)
Call Sweetwater for help with navigating all the upgrade options from Avid. They'll also provide some support beyond installation. For whatever reason, I thought the 10,11,12 ship had sailed a while back, but your link contradicts that. If Sweetwater were to steer you wrong, I would think they would accept some responsibility and make it right. You can determine that on contact.

I took the plunge and went for it via the Avid site. It wasn't a deal breaker if it didn't have PT11 as part of the combo considering everything else that PT2019 does. It just makes it easier for those times I really need the sound of B4II. Shuffling the session back and forth will just take a little extra care but no worries.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lyon (Post 2534315)
I did not know this was possible. Does it free up any processing or assets for PT?

Entirely possible at least for a Mac. There's uninstaller utilities that show up in the Applications folder for each. Nice thing with deleting them you don't have extra crap running at startup that's absolutely not needed. That and I don't have to worry about mistakenly having something out there on the Cloud.
Quote:

I uninstalled Avid Cloud using their utility but left Avid Link installed. I found via Google a remedy to stop Avid Link from starting upon computer startup. Involves editing a plist file as shown here from our friends at PTE https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...ac-and-windows

Problem with the Mac is you can't edit the original file but have to make a copy and make the changes to the copy and then save the copy (I saved it to the desktop). When saved there I changed the suffix from .txt to .plist and moved it into the folder the original plist is in and replaced the old one. Works a treat.

originalscottyg 08-02-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lyon (Post 2534315)

I've read a bunch of posts about Avid Link (and previously App Manager) using CPU and definitely network bandwidth. same with Cloud Services. And I don't want login prompt interrupting me if the internet goes down, etc. Since I don't use either, uninstalling makes the most sense to me.

Philthy 08-02-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2534328)
I took the plunge and went for it via the Avid site. It wasn't a deal breaker if it didn't have PT11 as part of the combo considering everything else that PT2019 does. It just makes it easier for those times I really need the sound of B4II. Shuffling the session back and forth will just take a little extra care but no worries.

Couldn't you run B4II in Blue Cat Patchwork?

musicman691 08-02-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philthy (Post 2534415)
Couldn't you run B4II in Blue Cat Patchwork?

That wouldn't help - it's not a matter of plugin format. B4II isn't meant to be run in modern OSX versions; it was a challenge to get it running in OSX 10.10.5 inside VEPro with an installer that was patched. VEPro in OSX 10.12.6 won't even see the plugin.