Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   corrupt audio files please help (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=16618)

tomcat 06-02-2000 11:27 AM

corrupt audio files please help

what played fine last night is garbage today. I may have copied the file to another drive (and deleted the old one) but I think i played it after that. 24 bit 44.1 k files that used to sound like some hip licks on a strat now sound like the digital devil's evil roar. I have check all the copies of the file in the import dialog and they all sound like that. Is there anything I can do, or do I have to tell the best artist I have ever worked with that her tracks are gone, the morning after I worked with her for the first time? Please help. mix plus, 8.6, 5.0 thanks

BDWillis 06-02-2000 04:30 PM

Re: corrupt audio files please help

This could also be a bit of disk allocation confusion — I experienced something similar recently!! Hopefully that's all it is, and this workaround will help.

Try this: In the finder, copy the rest of the session to the second drive, DON'T erase anything else off of the original drive, and use FWB mounter to UNMOUNT the original drive that the session had been created on. Then relaunch PT and open the session from the second drive. In midlaunch you should get a dialog asking you to confirm a new disk allocation, as the original drive is unavailable. When the session opens, the disk allocation should be to the new drive, and unless there is indeed a drive formatting problem, the session should play as normal. Good luck!!

Warmest Regards,
Brian

DigiTechSupt 06-03-2000 12:43 AM

This sounds like a drive issue to me. I have personally experienced inadequate drives throw out digital hash (noise) when playing back audio files.
-What format utility did you use to initialize and/or partition the drive?
-Have you tried copying the files back to the original drive and playing the suspect files?
-Do the waveforms look distorted when you zoom in?

In addition, reseat all your SCSI cables and make sure that the last device in the chain is properly terminated (active termination is preferred). Backup your data and reinitalize the drive and/or update its driver. We recommend either FWB Hard Disk Toolkit (v3.0.2 or later) or ATTO ExpressPro-Tools v2.3.2 applications.

Brent

LCM 06-05-2000 12:41 AM

hello tom, i had a similar thing happen to me here in B-ham. However now i back up to 2 different extra drives every new important session, therefore the info is always in 3 drives. that is the way i was always to salvage asession. yet on another ocassion i tried importing the file from a good session copy. the result was terrible digital noise...
Also beware, i 've lost a couple of files that should have opened in the session. i was not even able to import them from backup files, however they played back well on the original session. These ALL were HH (hihat files)...

KingTor 06-05-2000 01:42 PM

something similar happened to me on the ONLY time I EVER recorded anything to ProTools without running a DAT at the same time. Completely toasted, useless noise instead of ADR. Looked fine in the track until I recalculated the waveforms and sure enough, it was **** . Had to bring the guy back in on his way to the airport and I don't have to tell you that he wasn't happy. Hopefully one of these other suggestions helped you.