Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   DIGI 001 ,NUENDO ,CUBASE ,OR LOGIC (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=68128)

geechie 10-31-2002 10:37 PM

DIGI 001 ,NUENDO ,CUBASE ,OR LOGIC

Just purchased digi 001 today starting to feel unsure.Thinkin about takin it back and gettin nuendo was told thats the best way to go and why is'nt digi 001 surround sound,steinberg systems are surround and dont have track limitations.I dont know why im trying or wishing 001 is something it cant be a HDsytem or 24 mix.
dont know what to do. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Captain_Pants 10-31-2002 10:55 PM

Re: DIGI 001 ,NUENDO ,CUBASE ,OR LOGIC

Hey Man, you get what you pay for. You want a Quality product from the number 1 company in audio software production, i'd stick with the 001. We all use it, and most of us couldnt be happier(ok, with an HD system we would be).

trust me, the ease of use with PT is tremendously easier to use compared to some other programs.

pk_hat 10-31-2002 11:07 PM

indeed, ProTools/001 kicks ass.
have you ever got your head around Logic? It's a f***ing nightmare of a learning curve. Cubase SX on the other hand, well, I'm tempted to give that one a shot, as I no longer have my PC and need some new gear/software. Sonar seems pretty cool too.

H-man 11-01-2002 11:08 AM

Geech- I've seen your other posts and obvioulsy your new around here. It's good your doing your research, but I highly recommend you stick with the Digi 001. Unless your composing for movies I'd forget about surround sound. The 001 is where it is at, and I have used both cubase and logic and PT is like a breath of fresh air compared to those. You made the right choice! Are you buying this for yourself, or was it for your son, if I remember correctly? Does he have any recording experience, and if so, what did he use before PT? If he is just starting than PT will be a breeze for him to learn the basics and get up and running. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Good luck and we're here to help.

el matador 11-03-2002 10:16 PM

The digi001 INCLUDES the I/O harware and has nice mic pres. If you buy Nuendo or logic, you still have to buy a $700.00 interface that compares to the digi001 interface. NOW, ASIO will soon be out for digi001 which will make it fully compatible with logic and nuendo, u'd be a fool to take the 001 back. Surround sound for music is a fad. Unless u are making movies. And anyone using more than 32 tracks for a song is overmixing. Beatles did it with 4.

Haigbabe 11-03-2002 10:55 PM

Greetings geechie,

Yes, it's a tough call as to which way to go.

I don't think you can make too many mistakes whatever you choose, most programs are very good these days, and all of them have strong and weak points.

I have found my 001 running ProTools LE very stable and powerful with an AthlonXP+.

I do mix in surround and use my 001 to assist (usually after a decoded B-Format signal via a SoundField SP451). It's not easy and requires a few work-arounds, but it is possible to degree, just got to know how to use aux tracks and bussing.

The upgrade to PT6 and ASIO holds some promise too. (Still vapourware though.)

Best of luck for your future.

Regards,

Haigbabe

vonbleak101 11-04-2002 04:06 AM

"Beatles did it with 4. " Not really, The Song Sg Pepper contains over 20 bounces, thats 4 into 2 20 times, thats over 40 tracks all up. You should always only use what you need. Sometimes i only 14-16 tracks for a simple rock trio, other times i may use 28-32 tracks. Each song/project call for something different. I agree with 'Dont use 32 tracks for the sake of having a 32 track mix', but do what is needed.

I use SX now insted of LE and even though i can i havent gone over 32-33 tracks just because i have not needed too.

With you 001 options, if you can wait for ASIO to come, get SX and just use the 001 as an interface.

(But the 001 LE setup is a good deal, if you need more than 32 tracks you can always do a bounce...) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]