Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   recover my song in 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400246)

mikeyman 07-17-2018 05:42 PM

recover my song in 2018

I just got a new computer and it has the new 2018 PT's...I saved my song to a hard drive before the old computer broke down and I am trying to recover it in PT's 2018 on the new computer.Everything shows up except the audio.I don't see any wave files on the edit screen...All tracks and plugins show up/..Do you think I didn't save it right?Don't the audio files save with the rest of the song..Thanks
P.S. not sure I have everything turned on and set up right in PT's

cwsand 07-17-2018 06:09 PM

Re: recover my song in 2018

They'd be in the Audio Files folder on the original hard drive unless you stored them elsewhere.

albee1952 07-17-2018 06:52 PM

If you were in the original session and went File>Save Session Copy, the next window would have a checkbox to include audio files. Could you have missed that? Is there an original version of the session on any other drive?

mikeyman 07-17-2018 07:19 PM

gee I don't know.I don't understand PT's very well not sure what I did.I don't remember that check box?I saved to another drive on the old computer but not sure what I did .I thought I was doing it right .
What is the correct way to re-load a song from a drive .?Maybe I did that wrong.Maybe I was suppose to use import files.Ill have to go in and try again .I'm a little confuse as usual.Thanks

mikeyman 07-17-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2494362)
If you were in the original session and went File>Save Session Copy, the next window would have a checkbox to include audio files. Could you have missed that? Is there an original version of the session on any other drive?

I think I went ''save as'' so I guess I did it wrong lost all my audiogee

mikeyman 07-17-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyman (Post 2494368)
I think I went ''save as'' so I guess I did it wrong lost all my audio

well maybe the original session is still on my old computer hard drive...Thanks guys ..

jeffro 07-17-2018 08:44 PM

Any chance you still have that old computer, or at least the drives from it?

mikeyman 07-17-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2494373)
Any chance you still have that old computer, or at least the drives from it?

Hi Jeffro
yea I have it ill take it in tomorrow and see if I can get it..Don't you think all the song data would be on my recording drive or should I have them try and retrieve the stuff on my C drive too..thanks

Rich Breen 07-18-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyman (Post 2494377)
Hi Jeffro
yea I have it ill take it in tomorrow and see if I can get it..Don't you think all the song data would be on my recording drive or should I have them try and retrieve the stuff on my C drive too..thanks

If you open your session that's missing audio, then open the Session Browser Window (option-o) it will show you the location of the audio files for that session (even if the drive is not online) - sort by path and you should be able to quickly see exactly what drive any offline audio is located on.

mikeyman 07-19-2018 12:45 PM

got real lucky .I took the computer in and it's ok.I had 4 drives and the last drive ,,a second backup is failing and was causing windows not to open.All my files are left just like I had them.Thanks for all the help.Ill be more carful next time and test what I have saved to my off computer drive;)