Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   FX Loop: unable to get it working. Yes, I've read the manual (but not well). (SOLVED) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397838)

Spinland 03-11-2018 09:28 AM

FX Loop: unable to get it working. Yes, I've read the manual (but not well). (SOLVED)

1 Attachment(s)
Guitar plugged direct into the 11R in.

11R out to amp into the front of my amp. I get good guitar signal from the regular path to the amp speaker.

FX Loop select switch is on, not bypass.

Using the mono/left send and return jacks, and the FX Loop is configured for mono in the 11R settings. Switch is set to stomp box mode.

FX Loop send and returns and mix settings checked at all manner of settings from 0 to 100% and lots in between.

Several different cables tried. Several different stomp boxes plugged into the loop, individually and in sequence.

No sound from the Trio+ pedal, and no effect on any guitar signal using other boxes, such as a pitch shifter which would have given me a very obvious change if it was working.

I plugged a straight cable between the mono/left send and returns of the 11R, played some guitar stuff while shifting the send, return, and mix controls. No change in sound at any settings.

I'm stumped. I've gone over every relevant section of the manual I can find, have searched here and elsewhere, and beyond some RTFM responses and a couple of easy fixes I've already tried I've found no reason I can't get the FX loop to have any effect.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Spinland 03-11-2018 09:52 AM

Re: FX Loop: unable to get it working. Yes, I've read the manual.

Okay, another data point: it's working via headphones direct out from the 11R, apparently just not to the front output to amp jack.

That tells me I have some signal routing issue going on, but now at least I have something concrete I can look into.

Spinland 03-11-2018 10:19 AM

Re: FX Loop: unable to get it working. Yes, I've read the manual.

Sorted it. I'll share here in case it helps someone.

RTFM can be a fraught concept because sometimes it assumes a knowledge of how different sections are linked that the reader (a knucklehead like I) does not possess, so does not know what sections are pertinent to the issue at hand.

Knowing it was a signal chain issue and not the loop itself being set up improperly I found the part of the manual that told me I needed my amp outputs to be in rig (or rig without cab) mode. I had them in amp mode. D'oh!

So, dunce cap firmly in place I can now have fun experimenting with my new gear. Hopefully someone as clueless as I finds my experience of some use.

Cheers!

Cowboy Bob 03-11-2018 11:50 AM

Re: FX Loop: unable to get it working. Yes, I've read the manual. (SOLVED)

Glad you got it sorted. And welcome by the way.

11R manual is really quite comprehensive and fairly well written. You’ll find it very useful.

Understanding the signal path makes things a whole lot easier.

Spinland 03-11-2018 01:42 PM

Thanks, CB! Should have figured you'd be active on this forum. :cool:

If you make BGU NE this year you can watch first-hand and critique my live playing technique with this beastie. :D

Spinland 03-11-2018 01:45 PM

Thanks, CB! Should have known you'd be active over on this forum. :cool:

If you make BGU NE this year you can observe my live playing technique with this little beastie and offer your critiques. :D