Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   From Mac to Windows - What to Expect (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399398)

edwinstar 05-25-2018 04:00 AM

From Mac to Windows - What to Expect

Hello everybody!
I am seriously considering switching to Windows. My eye is on a Lenovo P51 Xeon Workstation. My main question is: Can i expect a similar Pro Tools HD performance on Windows as i have on Mac (or even better)? Forgive my beginners question, I have never had a Windows Computer, it was always a Mac since more than twenty years.
Thank you all!

lowthert 05-25-2018 05:59 AM

Re: From Mac to Windows - What to Expect

...I am thinking of doing exactly the same thing - very interested in feedback. Thanks in advance.

its2loud 05-25-2018 06:15 AM

I think it depedns on a number of things...
1. What type ofminterface to you have?
2. Have you ever used Windows before?
3. Are you planning on using Thunderbolt at any time?
4. Are you comfortable with your workflow efficiency slowing down for a period of time while you get used to the Windows environment?

If youre seriously considering this change, which is understandable given the current cost of a Mac system, be prepared for a lot of head scratching moments trying to navigate Windows and deal with drivers, etc.

Having gone from Windowns, to Mac, and jumping back to Windows occasionally, I much prefer Mac for its ease of use software and less, under the hood, issues. Ive always found it to be a much more stable platform for Pro Tools.

It would be in your best interest to find a Windows system to spend some time on in an efforrt to a feel for the transition before making the plunge.

Raoul23 05-25-2018 06:17 AM

Ive recently gone the other way. IMO its the best thing i did. My mac runs without a glitch, where i always had some issue with pro tools and windows.

TOM@METRO 05-25-2018 06:48 AM

I work on both in various studios. I find very little difference overall.

The Weed 05-25-2018 09:00 AM

Backwards compatibility is better on Windows :o

jjnssn 05-25-2018 10:47 AM

For me, the ProTools experience is substantially equivalent and I use both PC and Mac currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

edwinstar 05-25-2018 01:49 PM

been testing windows 10 & pt2018 on macbook pro bootcamp. it looks like the graphics and text aren’t as smooth and retina-like as on osx. also there is always a window frame surrounding the whole application, no fullscreen mode it seems.
and yes, i would like to use an uad apollo thunderbolt interface.
thanks for all your help!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

leftalive 05-28-2018 05:53 PM

I was Mac only for about 17-18 years and just switched to a PC in the studio, about a year ago. Once you make your peace with the quirks of Windows (and the general differences from MacOS), the actual experience of using Pro Tools is essentially the same on both platforms.

I had to let go of a few plugins that weren't available on PC, but aside from that it was a pretty smooth transition.

zedhed 05-29-2018 10:08 PM

With Windows there are a lot more 'variables' in terms of hardware components where it can be a trap for inexperienced players.

Before moving to Windows, be sure to find out if the components of the computer you intend to buy are compatible. I see that is the crux of your post, so I'm putting that out there so this doesn't become just a Mac v PC discussion since no-one has actually answered your question re: Lenovo P51.

Traditionally, buying a PC laptop was a crapshoot.... not sure if that's still the case with PT2018.