Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ProTools 10 and midi setup (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=337928)

mattia77 04-23-2013 12:32 AM

ProTools 10 and midi setup

Morning!
I still have some little problem with protools 10. :)
I've used PT LE 7.4 for years and probably I forgot something!
Yesterday I was trying to record an audio/midi track on protools 10.
The audio track was ok but the midi track no.
On the mixer I have a midi track, on the input section is written "all", in the output section is written "none" and i'm unable to change it.
On the Midi Studio windows I can't choose my keyboard. I have a Roland EXR-40 OR. I tried to connect it via USB too but nothing.
I have an Alesis Q25 and when I connect it via USB I can see it and it work fine.
In the Midi Input Device section the Alesis is correctly displayed but not the Roland keyboard.
And, when I connect the Roland, the midi led on my 003 is ON all the time. (not pulsing when I try to play the keyboard).
I've used another keyboard too (don't remember wich one now) and got same problems.

So I want to know.....I can use a "not supported" keyboard in the section "add device" of Studio Midi?
I'm missing something?

With ProTools 7.4 I still can use the Roland without problem. so midi cables are ok, the keyboard is ok.

I'm on Protools 10.3.3 and MacPro OS 10.6.8

Thank you,

Mattia

musicman691 04-23-2013 10:05 AM

Re: ProTools 10 and midi setup

Do you have OSX Audio/MIDI setup to recognize your keyboards? You have to do that first before PT will recognize them.

DonaldM 04-23-2013 12:43 PM

I know this is basic, but its something I've done myself over the years, even though I know better...but make sure the keyboard is turned on and the MIDI USB recognized by your computer BEFORE you boot up PT. Otherwise, PT will not "see" your keyboard properly...assuming you've set it up properly in PT to start with. If you boot up PT and then connect or turn on the keyboard, PT will not see it.

mattia77 04-23-2013 01:27 PM

Thank you very much for your answers.
I always used protools midi setup to recognize my keyboards.
Tomorrow I will try what you said.
If, by assumption, my keyboard haven't a MIDI USB but just a MIDI port, there is something I can do?
Thank you

mattia77 04-24-2013 12:45 AM

Hello again,

Audio/Midi setup on OSX (Protools is off) don't recognize my keyboard.
If I go on the page "add device" and then proprieties I can write the device name, I can choose the Producer (Roland in this case) but on Model I can't see my keyboard.

musicman691 04-24-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattia77 (Post 2033946)
Hello again,

Audio/Midi setup on OSX (Protools is off) don't recognize my keyboard.
If I go on the page "add device" and then proprieties I can write the device name, I can choose the Producer (Roland in this case) but on Model I can't see my keyboard.

Whether your specific model is there or not doesn't matter. I have a Yamaha Motif 7 and it's not on the list but I can still use it in Audio MIDI setup in OSX. Been working just fine for months now.

mattia77 04-24-2013 05:01 AM

Thank you Musicman691.....good to know.
If you have any suggestion to help me will be great :)
protools still not show me input or output on midi tracks

musicman691 04-24-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattia77 (Post 2033980)
Thank you Musicman691.....good to know.
If you have any suggestion to help me will be great :)
protools still not show me input or output on midi tracks

I don't know exactly what you are asking with your last statement - please explain. You first have to set things up in OSX Audio MIDI setup. Google is your friend for figuring this out.

mattia77 04-24-2013 05:40 AM

My problem is on the post above.
My english isn't very good so maybe I said something in the wrong way, sorry.
My OSX midi setup show me only the Alesis.
I don't see my digi 003 and I don't see my Roland when I plug it.
When I go on Protools and open a Midi Track I can see the Alesis in the input/output but if I try to connect via MIDI my Roland, in the midi track i see "all" oinput and "none" on output.
Looking ogoogle for OSX midi setup I can't find nothing really useful to be honest, I have done everything....maybe :(

mattia77 04-24-2013 07:46 AM

Problem solved. I Dunno why but the IAC deiver was turned off -.-
Thx to everyone for the help :)