Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Wrong Notes played with midi controler (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=314476)

12bbb 12-29-2011 09:39 AM

Wrong Notes played with midi controler

Need help! In PT9, on my instrument tracks, the notes I play on my Photon 25 aren't the same in PT9...why?

cneal92 12-29-2011 11:32 AM

Re: Wrong Notes played with midi controler

I would check to make sure you aren't transposing at the keyboard. You can also transpose automatically in PT, but my guess is that you have some how mistakenly transposed the keyboard.

We just bought a bunch of the Axiom keyboards for our MIDI lab and they are EXTREMELY easy to transpose (usually students do this by accident, obviously).

Singalong 07-24-2015 11:00 AM

I just hooked up my Axiom Pro 49 and began playing a track with the Grand Piano and a few bars into the song, it changed key - 2 semi-tomes down - I tried it again and in the same spot - it changed! I tried to check the transpose button but they do not seem to work. Did I set up something wrong. I am using Pro Tools 8.0.5 with a Mac OS X 10.6.8.

john1192 07-24-2015 12:04 PM

"a few bars into the song, it changed key - 2 semi-tomes down - I tried it again and in the same spot" ... sounds like automation .. i would check there 1st ..

Singalong 07-24-2015 02:36 PM

Thank you. I apologize about the next question but what do you mean "automation". I am still learning about recording and DAW and Pro Tools. Can you elaborate?

musicman691 07-25-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singalong (Post 2279426)
Thank you. I apologize about the next question but what do you mean "automation". I am still learning about recording and DAW and Pro Tools. Can you elaborate?

Automation means having parameters change automatically on their own according to data you've written to the track. Suggest looking up automation in the PT User's Guide (aka The Manual) that comes free with every install of PT.

Seeing as how you're new to recording and PT I'd suggest getting a good third party book or two to help explain the terms used and such.

Singalong 08-01-2015 09:38 PM

Sorry for the delay but thank you. I have the PT course text book 101 and am going through that. Another problem I noted, I am unable to use the numeric pad and the octave change buttons on the Axiom Pro 49 - it is brand new. As well, as I am playing the keys, sometimes there is a "tinny" sound in some of the notes. Could this be a problem with the controller. I did not think that there would be such an issue. It should be plug in and play. Any information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

musicman691 08-02-2015 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singalong (Post 2281254)
Sorry for the delay but thank you. I have the PT course text book 101 and am going through that. Another problem I noted, I am unable to use the numeric pad and the octave change buttons on the Axiom Pro 49 - it is brand new. As well, as I am playing the keys, sometimes there is a "tinny" sound in some of the notes. Could this be a problem with the controller. I did not think that there would be such an issue. It should be plug in and play. Any information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

When you say tinniy sound - are you talking about something coming through your monitor speakers or a mechanical sound coming from when you press the keys on the Axiom? If it's coming through the speakers that's a fault of the sound or vi being played. If it's mechanical coming from the keyboard something may have rattled loose or it's a cabinet resonance.

Singalong 08-02-2015 10:00 AM

Thank you again. It's really hard to explain. I am playing the key board and recording, then a random key will sound really weird - and it gets recorded. On top of that, I am unable to use the numeric pad on the controller and the octave keys do not work. I am in the process of returning the controller.

musicman691 08-02-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singalong (Post 2281336)
Thank you again. It's really hard to explain. I am playing the key board and recording, then a random key will sound really weird - and it gets recorded. On top of that, I am unable to use the numeric pad on the controller and the octave keys do not work. I am in the process of returning the controller.

So you're saying the noise is coming through the speakers and is not a mechanical noise right? If that's the case that is NOT a fault of the keyboard but it's in the sample set or vi you are using. As far as the other functions - do you have the drivers installed for it? Get a MIDI monitor program for your operating system, connect up the keyboard, and run through the various buttons and such. That will tell you whether the keyboard is at fault or something else is going on.