Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Is there any option to run PT on my 2020 iMac? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414307)

Mikehende 03-02-2021 05:44 AM

Is there any option to run PT on my 2020 iMac?

Hello all, I was told on the Apple Support Community that I can use an "Avid interface" to run Pro Tools on a VM but not sure how PT will perform in that situation so I would like to inquire here please, will this work or is there any other option? Thanks.

Rich Breen 03-02-2021 07:26 AM

Re: Is there any option to run PT on my 2020 iMac?

Not sure I understand what the question is coming from? This is an Intel processor machine yes? Are you then just worried about the OS version? Big Sur is not approved for PT yet but seems like many are running it without significant issues - would almost certainly be more stable than running PT inside a VM with an older OS.

AFA interface: the choices are myriad and do not need to be from Avid (though they make some very nice interfaces), from $100 to many thousands, just depending on what you want.

If you clarify the question a little, someone might be able to help you further.

Mikehende 03-02-2021 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info. Actually I am making this inquiry for someone. I am a computer repair tech and he asked me about the PT issue he is having.

All he said was he had PT8 on a 2012 MacBook Pro but would like to use PT on his 2020 iMac which is running Catalina but PT is a 32Bit software and he looking for any option. That is the info I have.

Obsidian Dragon 03-02-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehende (Post 2594843)
Thanks for the info. Actually I am making this inquiry for someone. I am a computer repair tech and he asked me about the PT issue he is having.

All he said was he had PT8 on a 2012 MacBook Pro but would like to use PT on his 2020 iMac which is running Catalina but PT is a 32Bit software and he looking for any option. That is the info I have.

In this case, it is probably time to have your customer upgrade their version of Protools to the current version (2020.12). They can try a monthly subscription to ensure it works to their satisfaction.

Another option is to suggest the customer to switch to Logic X from Apple. It is different but is more timely with updates and no monthly subscription costs or annual fees and support plan cost.

Mikehende 03-02-2021 08:50 AM

Thanks. Wait, he had said PT is only 32bit which will not natively work on his iMac which is 64 bit so are you saying the latest version [2020.12] is 64 bit or would he need to use 2020.12 with VMware?

Rich Breen 03-02-2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehende (Post 2594845)
Thanks. Wait, he had said PT is only 32bit which will not natively work on his iMac which is 64 bit so are you saying the latest version [2020.12] is 64 bit or would he need to use 2020.12 with VMware?

Pro Tools 8, ha!! Current versions of Pro Tools are 64bit and will run fine on any current OS. PT8 is absolutely ancient, and no, it won't run on a current OS. It's just possible it might work running in a virtual machine with a very old Mac OS, but given the deep hooks into the hardware I'd be surprised).

Pro Tools compatibility chart is here:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Looks like you'd have to try Snow Leopard (!) to see if it would run... Obviously, best thing to do is to just get a current version of Pro Tools.

Mikehende 03-02-2021 09:56 AM

Sorry for the misinformation guys, I just got off the phone with him, he said the problem is that he wants to use plugins like antlers and auto tune but THOSE plugins are 32bit, that is the issue. Again my apologies.

albee1952 03-02-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehende (Post 2594853)
Sorry for the misinformation guys, I just got off the phone with him, he said the problem is that he wants to use plugins like antlers and auto tune but THOSE plugins are 32bit, that is the issue. Again my apologies.

There are current versions of Autotune that are 64 bit(can't speak about antlers as I never heard of it). I agree that its a dead end to try to run ancient-ware on a modern computer. If he is stuck on PT8(and has the required Digidesign interface), best to dig up a used machine(with the appropriate OS) from that era(a used G5 is probably less than $100:eek:). For me, the things that have been added to PT in the intervening years more than make up for the expense of using the current(or recent) version:o

Ben Jenssen 03-02-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehende (Post 2594833)
Hello all, I was told on the Apple Support Community that I can use an "Avid interface" to run Pro Tools on a VM but not sure how PT will perform in that situation so I would like to inquire here please, will this work or is there any other option? Thanks.

Just a little side note; in my opinion, the Apple Support Community is totally useless at best, misleading at its worst. That's because it's full of people pretending to be experts, posting copy-paste answers and collecting "points" not romotely helping people at all. I came back to that place now and then for years seeking answers to questions, always to be disappointed. It's completely off my list. THIS is where I get answers to my mac questions: macrumors forums.
Great place w/real experts.

Mikehende 03-02-2021 11:51 AM

The guy says he will update PT to run on his iMac so will have to do without his preferred plugins. Thanks for the help guys.

I used to subscribe to Mac Rumors forum years ago but they had shut down at one point and I never knew they had resumed operations so thanks for that!