Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   10.5 iPad Pro support? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391933)

mattrixx 06-24-2019 05:04 PM

Re: 10.5 iPad Pro support?

Personally, I just use an older iPad on the dock and keep the iPad Pro for other fun things.

robertg 06-24-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattrixx (Post 2530703)
Personally, I just use an older iPad on the dock and keep the iPad Pro for other fun things.

The only reason I got a new one is for the 120hz screen, and faster processor. Those things make a noticeable difference in audio sessions

mattrixx 06-25-2019 08:39 AM

I'm not so sure a 120hz screen is going to be a necessary advantage in the AVID Dock in any case. Seems like overkill, given the intended scope. Just IMO
I guess what I was suggesting previously, is that it may be beneficial to get an older one (iPad) in addition, just for the the dock.

EddieJones 06-25-2019 10:19 AM

If you use the supplied rake adapter then the power cable will fit, but the lead goes out between the knobs

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

legasafe 06-26-2019 08:52 AM

Yikes, thinking I'll pass on the dock

mattrixx 06-26-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legasafe (Post 2530899)
Yikes, thinking I'll pass on the dock

Why? The Dock is fantastic! An iPad Pro is overkill for it's purpose in conjunction with a Dock.

EddieJones 06-26-2019 09:11 PM

I have to agree, save yourself some money and get a previous model. It would work just the same.

robertg 06-28-2019 10:57 AM

If you're redesigning this thing anyway, I hope you'll take some feedback.

The dock works well but it sits the ipad too high, I would personally rather see something like an updated artist control, that's almost flush with the desk and doesn't impede the forward view.

The wheel could also be a lot smaller and not prominently featured in the center.. off to the side somewhere, and then you could fit more buttons or faders.

BScout 06-28-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertg (Post 2531258)
The dock works well but it sits the ipad too high, I would personally rather see something like an updated artist control, that's almost flush with the desk and doesn't impede the forward view.

Slab controllers and especially slab displays suck. Both from a tactile perspective and from having to lean over them for better viewing angles. On top of that, it would make the whole dock take up more real estate on a desk pushing everything else further back.
If you take out the current detachable support back, the angle is as low as it could be for comfort of the knobs and view.
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertg (Post 2531258)
The wheel could also be a lot smaller and not prominently featured in the center.. off to the side somewhere, and then you could fit more buttons or faders.

The Dock is used for more than Pro Tools. The wheel needs to stay as it is. The dock isn't a fader box -- that's what the Mix or S3 is for. The dock mimics the S6 control section.

The only thing I never see get used "right" are the touchstrips. Those could have just been more addressable buttons. (which is how I see they get used anyway).

And "Input" needs to be added to the fader (for every Eucon device that's missing that)

robertg 06-28-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2531267)
Slab controllers and especially slab displays suck. Both from a tactile perspective and from having to lean over them for better viewing angles. On top of that, it would make the whole dock take up more real estate on a desk pushing everything else further back.
If you take out the current detachable support back, the angle is as low as it could be for comfort of the knobs and view.

The Dock is used for more than Pro Tools. The wheel needs to stay as it is. The dock isn't a fader box -- that's what the Mix or S3 is for. The dock mimics the S6 control section.

The only thing I never see get used "right" are the touchstrips. Those could have just been more addressable buttons. (which is how I see they get used anyway).

And "Input" needs to be added to the fader (for every Eucon device that's missing that)

Your opinion of “viewing angles” is outdated, modern LCDs like the current generation of ipad look just fine when they are viewed from above.

The form factor of the artist series was just fine, and you can even raise up the back a little bit. The problem with the dock is that it blocks the main monitor, you would have to raise the monitor up a lot, or put it off to the side, and that sucks.

As for giant wheels, have a look at the Akai MPC X for example, or the current generation NI Maschine controller. The wheel is out of the way and just as accessible and useful.