Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   PT12 / Dolby Atmos (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363888)

mpeg5 02-01-2015 09:17 AM

PT12 / Dolby Atmos

In the specs for the HD version Dolby Atmos is mentioned as a feature.

Any idea about how they´ll do it?
Will the rise the bus track count (about time)?
Does this come with a dedicated panner for 3D?

nst7 02-01-2015 10:17 AM

Re: PT12 / Dolby Atmos

People are doing this already, it's not something new for PT12. It looks like a combination of a plugin, plus the fact that HD systems can be configured so many ways.

You may find out more in the Post and Surround section, but this page from the website gives a little info:

http://www.avid.com/US/about-avid/cu...es/Dolby-Atmos

mpeg5 02-01-2015 10:35 AM

Yes, it is possible now already.
But what is the difference from current systems to PT 12, they never advertised this in that matter before, as far as I know.

What the product page says:

Mix in stereo or surround
With Pro Tools | HD, you can mix in everything from mono up to 7.1 surround sound or Dolby Atmos. Build up your sonic landscape and add movement to your mix with the built-in surround panner. Work with groups of tracks faster and easier with VCA Group mixing.

So you think this is not a new feature, but a description of what is possible already?

nst7 02-01-2015 09:17 PM

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case. I think they are just pointing out that Dolby Atmos is possible, but I don't think they've added any new functionality in that regard. I would assume that would still be separately purchased plugin and tools from Dolby. It may be that Avid is mentioning it now because Atmos is now more well known, due to the fact that people can get it in their homes and on blu ray's now.

mpeg5 02-02-2015 12:20 AM

So, presumably nothing new on the table... we shell see when it it released.

Frank Kruse 02-02-2015 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2228299)
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case. I think they are just pointing out that Dolby Atmos is possible, but I don't think they've added any new functionality in that regard. I would assume that would still be separately purchased plugin and tools from Dolby. It may be that Avid is mentioning it now because Atmos is now more well known, due to the fact that people can get it in their homes and on blu ray's now.

The AAX Dolby Atmos panner has been around for quite some time now. It's not exactly for purchase. You can use it when your project has purchased an Atmos license.
It's interconnects with the RMU so it doesn't really make sense without bing on an Atmos licensed stage/project.

Frank.

mpeg5 02-02-2015 03:59 AM

Yes, that is what it is doing now.
For some reason I thought they`d increase the bus counts so the whole process get`S a bit streamlined.

lexaudio 02-22-2015 08:41 PM

Well, just an FYI. Talking with the Dolby guys about PT and Atmos, they aren't happy with AVID at all.

From the sound of it, AVID is dropping the ball and there are problems with it and its on the AVID side. At least that is what I was told.

8dB.co.uk 02-22-2015 11:45 PM

Well, Dolby haven't even bothered to write the Windows version of the RMU plugin. If anyone's not taking it seriously, it's Dolby.

lexaudio 02-23-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk (Post 2235421)
Well, Dolby haven't even bothered to write the Windows version of the RMU plugin. If anyone's not taking it seriously, it's Dolby.

Just repeating what I was told.

And considering the high end aspect of Atmos, it is pretty much ALL MAC's.
So why write a PC version for 10 machines, when the bulk is MAC.

If you are a facility trying to do Atmos then talk to dolby. But I know that 95 percent of their Atmos clients are MAC.