Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Hardware firmware support plan? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364933)

paul007 03-01-2015 09:17 AM

Hardware firmware support plan?

Since a new era arrived in upgrading policies:

Will a firmware update to Avid hardware also need a support plan, now or in the future?

guitardom 03-01-2015 10:57 AM

Re: Hardware firmware support plan?

Valid question!

ArKay99 03-01-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul007 (Post 2237571)
Since a new era arrived in upgrading policies:

Will a firmware update to Avid hardware also need a support plan, now or in the future?

Bada Bing! This is one of the uncertainties regarding my system (sw and hw) and it's marketability at this point for me... i.e. It's for sale, you want to buy it, what do I tell you regarding it's support, or where can you go to inquire about it so you can make what is the proper decision for you...

roboman01 03-02-2015 07:36 PM

How about drivers, will they need a support plan? :cool:

Bob Olhsson 03-02-2015 08:41 PM

Drivers and firmware updates are not feature upgrades. There's no reason not to expect them to continue to be free.

ilovemyssl 03-06-2015 09:03 AM

I wouldn't be so sure Bob... if you read the fine print at the bottom of the S6 page, you'll see for the money you pay for your S6 (between $20k - $100 depending on spec) you will get ONE YEAR of pro support (including S6 SOFTWARE updates)... after that you'll be on your own! It's hard to believe they'll give you updates for a $5k interface for free if they won't on a $100k control surface!

Here's the exact wording from the website:

"One year of Avid Advantage ExpertPlus support* with Hardware Coverage (includes 7x24 access, priority phone support, advance hardware exchange (next-day), complimentary S6 software upgrades, and more to keep you up and running). * After one year, you can renew your support plan for continued operational efficiency—and peace of mind."

Bob Olhsson 03-06-2015 10:01 AM

It says upGRADES, not upDATES.

Certainly you can project whatever negative bs you wish on this but Avid has never suggested any need to pay for upDATES.

UpGRADES are additional new features.

Sugarnutz 03-06-2015 02:26 PM

Never had an issue getting firmware updates through digitest if needed for my older hardware, never asked for a password, purchase, nuthin'.

ilovemyssl 03-06-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 2239336)
It says upGRADES, not upDATES.

Certainly you can project whatever negative bs you wish on this but Avid has never suggested any need to pay for upDATES.

UpGRADES are additional new features.

Umm.. really?? Not sure where you've been hanging out but that is the backbone of PT12 - PAID SUPPORT FOR UPDATES! Same goes for their controllers. Here's a DIRECT QUOTE from the S6 forum from Avid's marketing guy:
-------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Graham (Post 2231752)
Hi Russ,

S-6 software updates* are provided only if you are on a support contract. Because we really started shipping consoles at the very end of 2013 and we are just over the one year mark from those first shipments, we have decided to let every S6 owner have v1.4 including the few who may be just over the year mark. However from this point, all owners will need to maintain support coverage on at minimum their MTM in order to continue to receive software updates*. This will give them not only the latest feature releases but also premium coverage for the most important component of their control surface, the MTM module and offering such services as advanced replacement in case of failure.

Thanks,
Tom
--------------------------

I am not the one projecting "negative bs" about Avid - they are doing a fine job of that themselves.

P.S. Here's a link to that post: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364258

tonepad 03-09-2015 01:07 AM

Geez, this thing is just spiraling out of control like some poorly run version of politics....oh wait that's "House of Cards" isn't it? I'm sorry to see even well established veterans with lifetime credits getting caught up in the confusion...that now seemingly includes our expensive and I thought purchased/owned hardware!!! I for one think that the skeptical POV is the correct path for most users... Pros and hobbyists alike. Look most of us have been paying our PT country club dues for quite a long time now, and I never expected that to change, but the incompetence of this restructuring debacle has me nervous that Avid will get on track. Look, I like PT and for me it's better than ever, but that doesn't make me feel like being an apologist for shoddy management policy. I guess I should be heartened by the fact that after being delisted from Nasdaq Q4 of 2014, Avid somehow recently got reinstated, but we all know how the stock market can be gamed don't we? Read Michael Lewis' books about Wall Street, most recently "Flash Boys" for answers.