Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   System 5 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   MC Pro Power Supply Problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351404)

aashton 02-21-2014 07:36 AM

MC Pro Power Supply Problem

Hello,

I suspect that my MCPro Power supply isn't functioning as it should (understatement) , the MCPro isn't booting, the touchscreen shows a milky white for a few seconds then switches to black with a white band down the left hand side and no other controls have any power to them.

I thought a local dealer still had an MC Pro in stock (pictured on their web site) so took the power supply along to see if it would power up their surface today but alas it was an old picture and the MC was long gone.

Pointers as to where the next point of call in getting everything back up and running greatly appreciated.

All the very best - Andrew

crizdee 02-21-2014 08:30 AM

Re: MC Pro Power Supply Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashton (Post 2134363)
Hello,

I suspect that my MCPro Power supply isn't functioning as it should (understatement) , the MCPro isn't booting, the touchscreen shows a milky white for a few seconds then switches to black with a white band down the left hand side and no other controls have any power to them.

I thought a local dealer still had an MC Pro in stock (pictured on their web site) so took the power supply along to see if it would power up their surface today but alas it was an old picture and the MC was long gone.

Pointers as to where the next point of call in getting everything back up and running greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Any electronics repair person would be able to check all the component in the PSU and check the right voltage is on the rails etc. it should be a relatively easy fix if it is the PSU itself/

There are also repair centres for Avid equipment and various other repair places that would look at it.

Chris

klaukholm 02-21-2014 09:50 AM

Digital Audio Service in germany makes a very good fanless rackmount PSU for the MC Pro.

It is quiet and will last you much longer that the original PSU.
I paid something like €600 for ours and it was well worth it

greco 02-27-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashton (Post 2134363)
Hello,

Hi Andrew,

I've recently had the same problem like yours with my MC Pro. It didn't boot up anymore, showing the white screen...
I first thought, too, that it was the power supply, that failed - but it's much more simple than that!

On my MC, it was the CMOS-backup-battery (sitting on the SBC inside of the MC, a standard coin type CR2032 battery ), that had run empty (after an estimated 5 years of battery life)
So, exchanging this little battery should solve your problems right away and, then, your MC should hopefully boot up properly again... ;)

Best and good luck,
Stefan

crizdee 02-27-2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco (Post 2136093)
Hi Andrew,

I've recently had the same problem like yours with my MC Pro. It didn't boot up anymore, showing the white screen...
I first thought, too, that it was the power supply, that failed - but it's much more simple than that!

On my MC, it was the CMOS-backup-battery (sitting on the SBC inside of the MC, a standard coin type CR2032 battery ), that had run empty (after an estimated 5 years of battery life)
So, exchanging this little battery should solve your problems right away and, then, your MC should hopefully boot up properly again... ;)

Best and good luck,
Stefan

Hi,

First post with a great bit of advise:D

Stick around we need more like you;)

Chris

ErikGuldager 02-27-2014 10:56 PM

Great advice, but the fact stands that these PSUs really are a POS construction.
We have two MC units, and for the seven years we've had them around one PSU a year needs replacing. We continually keep a spare new one in storage.

And just as a general info IF you have a early (silver) model MC the German PSUs won't work reliably as the internals of the MC power distribution was upgraded after some time.
Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out when or at what serial no it changed

klaukholm 02-28-2014 11:48 AM

We have the early one and it required a diferent wiring for the common grounds. Once that was done it works reliably

greco 02-28-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2136116)
Hi,

First post with a great bit of advise:D

Stick around we need more like you;)

Chris

Hi Chris,

thank you - you're welcome...! ;)

Stefan

klaukholm 04-28-2014 08:00 AM

Well ironically we now seem to have this very variant of the white screen as well.
Last time it was the PSU, but this time around it is not the PSU and we changes the CMOS battery to no avail.

Turning it on it the caps lock/num lock buttons flash like normal and it goes straight to a milky white screen.

Any thoughts?

aashton 04-28-2014 04:48 PM

Sorry I haven't responded to this thread for a while - poor health has knocked me low but fortunately with the help of my Tech I did manage to get to the bottom of my problem and thanks for everyones input.

Mine turned out to not be the Power Supply as suspected after all but a Chksum error during the boot process because of an error on the hard disk. Are you seeing anything during the boot process with a screen attached to the diagnostic port ?

All the best - Andrew