Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Best Desktops for Pro Tools LE (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=62234)

Taylor1725 09-05-2002 03:31 PM

Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

Allen,

XP2200 is on my A7M266, volcano 7 installed as well...but i'm totally confused about the power supply thingy. all instructions say to connect the 3-pin connection to the cpu_fan, but the volcano has 3-pin with only 2 wires in it(black and red) and a 3-pin with only a yellow wire in it...i want to use that extension to control the fan as well and i don't know what to do. i've ran the red/blue to the extension, what do i do with the yellow coming out of the fan...put that onto the cpu_fan? and what do i do with the yellow that's coming from the extension piece? this sounds terribly confusing so i hope you just remember doing it yourself and what you did exactly. people reading this must think i'm an idiot!

Allen Hallada 09-05-2002 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Taylor1725:
Allen,

XP2200 is on my A7M266, volcano 7 installed as well...but i'm totally confused about the power supply thingy. all instructions say to connect the 3-pin connection to the cpu_fan, but the volcano has 3-pin with only 2 wires in it(black and red) and a 3-pin with only a yellow wire in it...i want to use that extension to control the fan as well and i don't know what to do. i've ran the red/blue to the extension, what do i do with the yellow coming out of the fan...put that onto the cpu_fan? and what do i do with the yellow that's coming from the extension piece? this sounds terribly confusing so i hope you just remember doing it yourself and what you did exactly. people reading this must think i'm an idiot!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Every Volcano fan I assembled comes with a 4 pin adapter to connect directly to the Power Supply. You could connect it to the motherboard until you get the adapter piece if you are missing it. See the picture on www.newegg.com for that heatsink/fan combo. It shows just the red and black wires hooked to the 4 pin adapter. this connects directly to your PSU 4 pin. I hope that answers your question here, but I have a feeling it doesn't. Call Thermaltake if you have any other questions. Did you boot it up yet?

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Taylor1725 09-05-2002 03:53 PM

ok well there's 3 wires coming out of the volcano, red blue and yellow. the red and blue go into a 3 hole clip, leaving one empty. and the yellow wire goes into another 3-hole clip, leaving 2 empty. then the red-blue clip goes into another clip with 3 prongs in it (red/blue/yellow wires)...this is the extension piece with the 3-stage selector (i'm starting to lose myself). ok well the red/blue wires connected to the prongs go into the selector switch, come out the other side and go into the power clip/connector, filling 2 of 4 holes. the yellow clip connected to the prong goes into another 3 hole clip, leaving 2 empty. wow i must have you really lost. do i need to do anything to the yellow wires, and does nothing connect to the cpu_fan on the motherboard? allen i'm sorry, this is probably a headache for you

Allen Hallada 09-05-2002 03:59 PM

That yellow wire has to be for fan control monitoring. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't hook that up.

Taylor1725 09-05-2002 04:06 PM

Thank you! one more question, promise controller goes into slot...and the 2 harddrives connect to it? and i plug cd-rw into primary IDE on the motherboard?

Allen Hallada 09-05-2002 04:08 PM

Quote:

ok well there's 3 wires coming out of the volcano, red blue and yellow. the red and blue go into a 3 hole clip, leaving one empty. and the yellow wire goes into another 3-hole clip, leaving 2 empty. then the red-blue clip goes into another clip with 3 prongs in it (red/blue/yellow wires)...this is the extension piece with the 3-stage selector (i'm starting to lose myself). ok well the red/blue wires connected to the prongs go into the selector switch, come out the other side and go into the power clip/connector, filling 2 of 4 holes. the yellow clip connected to the prong goes into another 3 hole clip, leaving 2 empty. wow i must have you really lost. do i need to do anything to the yellow wires, and does nothing connect to the cpu_fan on the motherboard? allen i'm sorry, this is probably a headache for you
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Believe it or not I think I got it. You can connect the original red/blue to the 4 pin adapter and hook it directly to the PSU. Then the yellow wire goes to a final three pin to fit over your motherboard heatsink/fan connection. Normally all three wires would be connected to the motherboard, but this config is even better. When you connect that yellow 3 pin adapter to the motherboard, the empty slots should be farthest from the CPU and the yellow wire slot should be on the outside post closest to the CPU. That is how the A7V266E is setup , make sure it is the same for the A7M266. My A7M266 is at home so I'm not able to check it right now. If you have any questions, then don't hook the yellow wire to anything for now.

Allen Hallada 09-05-2002 04:17 PM

Quote:

Thank you! one more question, promise controller goes into slot...and the 2 harddrives connect to it? and i plug cd-rw into primary IDE on the motherboard?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have my Promise card in slot 2. That is the second slot from the AGP video slot. Another guy above had to hook his to slot 1. First time I've come across this. If your hard drives are not formated yet, hook just one (system drive) to the Primary IDE controller of the motherboard. Hook your CDRW up to the secondary IDE motherboard controller. Don't hook any PC cards up yet. Install WinXP and format your hard drive first. Then you can start adding PC cards one at a time. Put Promise in slot 2 and hook your second hard drive to either port to start with. Format it. Then shut down again and hook your first drive to Promise port A, and Audio drive to Promise port B. When you boot this time go into the bios and add SCSI to the bootup sequence under floppy and CD. The Promise card is recognized as SCSI. Play with it for awhile and if everything is running great, then add your Digi001 card and PTLE 5.3.1.
Let me know when you get it booted.

Taylor1725 09-05-2002 04:48 PM

thanks again, you're a life saver here. now i'm connecting the leads onto the MB...what differenciates which wire is the ground? i know that between red and black, black is the ground and red is the +5...but what about all the other colors, some combos are green/white, blue/white...argh. let me know if you want me to stop hassling you

Allen Hallada 09-05-2002 05:20 PM

Quote:

thanks again, you're a life saver here. now i'm connecting the leads onto the MB...what differenciates which wire is the ground? i know that between red and black, black is the ground and red is the +5...but what about all the other colors, some combos are green/white, blue/white...argh. let me know if you want me to stop hassling you
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just make sure you connect the red/blue to the 4 pin connector and then directly to the Power Supply, NOT the motherboard. Leave the yellow one off for now if you have any questions on where to put it. I'm positive it is for the fan monitor function and not needed.

Allen

Taylor1725 09-05-2002 05:27 PM

ok i'm done with the fan, thank you very much. i'm connecting those things into the motherboard like POWER LED and reset and all that jazz, and there's a whole bunch of colors. which is the ground for the wires? is there a rule of thumb