Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Recording volume low, Mbox not in "sound recording" (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=200572)

carlg1212 07-04-2007 11:50 AM

Recording volume low, Mbox not in \"sound recording\"

It seems like every time I'm psyched to record, some new problem emerges.

I haven't changed anything, but now, when I record, the recording volume is very low. I can crank up my guitar and barely hear anything. The volume bar does move ever so slightly.

I noticed Mbox is not an option in the "sound recording" section of Windows' "sounds and audio devices properties".

Please help.

carlg1212 07-06-2007 08:34 AM

Re: Recording volume low, Mbox not in \"sound recording\"

Here's a question:

Should the Mbox appear as a recording device in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Windows' control panel?

spkguitar 07-06-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Here's a question:

Should the Mbox appear as a recording device in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Windows' control panel?

No. The Wavedriver, which is what is used to connect to Windows to become a "default" audio device, is playback only. You cannot use any Digidesign LE device to record through the default windows device.

Only the Pro Tools drivers (used only by Pro Tools), and the ASIO drivers can be used for recording with a Digidesign LE device.

carlg1212 07-08-2007 08:13 AM

Ok, thanks. But do I have to re-install ProTools or something? I can no longer record anything (volume is extremely low). I don't know what happened. It used to work.

spkguitar 07-08-2007 08:51 AM

To what position is the mix knob set?

If you could describe how you have everything set up, knob positions, session settings, track settings, input settings, etc, then it might be a lot easier to help you.

carlg1212 07-12-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

To what position is the mix knob set?

If you could describe how you have everything set up, knob positions, session settings, track settings, input settings, etc, then it might be a lot easier to help you.

I've played around some more and switched my recording input to "IN2", and things seem to work, only now there is a strange echo when recording (when I only arm the track, everything sounds fine, it's when I hit "CTRL+spacebar" to start the actual recording does the echo occur). This has to be a latency issue, in my opinion.

How did this happen? Things were working fine, I was able to record to IN1 and everything worked, now all of a sudden, things have drastically changed.

Should I re-install ProTools? Any help is appreciated.

carlg1212 09-19-2007 02:32 PM

Well, I think my IN1 is blown on my Mbox. We've had some bad lightning storms over the summer, and eventhough my computer is protected by a fused surge protector, I think my Mbox still took a hit. That's my only conclusion.

IN1 doesn't work, IN2 works fine. I dunno.