Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   High pitched tone on Protools LE startup (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=208674)

parvinbriggs 11-04-2007 03:49 PM

High pitched tone on Protools LE startup

Looked through the forum and talked to the techs at the Music store and haven't seen a solution to this. When I start Protools LE 7.3.1 on my PC a high pitched tone starts playing on channel two. it is only noticeable when the level is turned up to about 66% on channel two. I have noticed that when I go to setup and open the playback engine dialog box that the tone will stop if I change anything on the page. However, once I close the dialog the tone comes back.

I am running WinXP sp2 with 768M of ram. I have an AMD Sempron 2600+ running at 1.6 gig. I also have a Delta logic 44 sound card installed and am running a two LCD monitor setup driven by an ATI radeon 1300.

Thanks for the help

robdrath 11-05-2007 04:37 PM

Re: High pitched tone on Protools LE startup

Sounds like the problem I had, was a ground loop problem, since i was running to powered monitor speakers. Does the sound disappear when you plug your headphones into your mbox? If so it is like I had, since the outputs on the mbox are unbalanced, I ended up sending the outputs of the mbox into the ground lift input of a DI box, then taking an xlr from the DI box to my monitors, this cured the problem.

Obsidian Dragon 11-05-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

I have an AMD Sempron 2600+ running at 1.6 gig.

This is not related to your problem with the high pitch tone but in case you did not know, the AMD Sempron is not supported with Protools and in the past it has been the cause of a lot of problems for people trying to use it anyways.

As for the high pitch tone, what digidesign hardware are you using? Some users of the original Mbox, Mbox2, Mbox 2 Mini interfaces have reported similar issues with the USB interface or USB cable (I have not heard of this problem with the Mbox 2 Micro yet). Try a different USB cable first and then perhaps a different USB port on the computer. Some have needed to get another USB card for their computer because the existing one had improper shielding. If you are using a digi001, 002, 002R, Mbox 2 Pro, 003, 003R, you might need to try swapping the firewire cable and then card. Also make sure your power cables and monitor cables do not run near and parallel to you audio cables. Watch where you place your power brick for any device.

spaids 11-06-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Sounds like the problem I had, was a ground loop problem, since i was running to powered monitor speakers. Does the sound disappear when you plug your headphones into your mbox? If so it is like I had, since the outputs on the mbox are unbalanced, I ended up sending the outputs of the mbox into the ground lift input of a DI box, then taking an xlr from the DI box to my monitors, this cured the problem.

ok seems I'm having some trouble with the forum today... I'll try posting this yet again.

Rob, could you give more detail on your ground loop fix? I am getting noise that I think is similar to what you had. I'm not sure how to follow you.

Camilo Toledo 11-06-2007 06:13 AM

It could be a ground loop. But I'm more inclined to think that it is harware related, which is conflicting with software. PT is not going to be too happy with that other sound card in there. You must definitely have to check the compatibility page.

JorgV 11-06-2007 09:32 AM

When I run Protools, my onboard soundcard (which I use for Windows sounds) makes a high pitched noise. Happens only when my Mbox2 is in use (strange..., noise goes away when I close Protools). I just mute the channels of that soundcard on my (outboard) mixer and my problem is 'gone'.

So, I guess in your case maybe it has also something to do with your other soundcard.