Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   PCIx in PCI slots... (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296713)

farscape1 08-08-2011 11:10 PM

Re: PCIx in PCI slots...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkab (Post 1815702)
I'm thinking it might be good for running a vienna ensemble pro network.

The first two pci slots will be inaccessible without cutting off the pcix pins on the HD cards edge connectors. The southbridge heat sink gets in the way in slot 1, and the bios chip gets in the way in slot 2.

cant u just remove or dremmel a lane in the heatsink?any new news on this thread,just getting interesting

dubrichie 08-10-2011 07:58 AM

hey Dawkab, how is your system running?

i am VERY strongly considering building a new machine with that mobo.

all the best,

jackp 08-14-2011 10:28 PM

hey Guys I have Asus P5WDG2 Ws Professional with windows Xp pro
I'am running an hd 2 accell . In my 2 PCI-X slots I have 1 core, and 1 accell card
I have 2 extra PCI slots and there is room for another Accell Card beside the existing accell card. So is it ok to run a accell card in the one of the PCI slot Is there any special install instuction or do I just pop in the pci slot and boot it up
Thanks jack

dawkab 08-14-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farscape1 (Post 1823177)
cant u just remove or dremmel a lane in the heatsink?any new news on this thread,just getting interesting

PCI slot two is the next in-line for a fourth HD card. But the BIOS chip is in the way - and I don't know if you want to dremmel through that!

dawkab 08-14-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubrichie (Post 1823573)
hey Dawkab, how is your system running?

i am VERY strongly considering building a new machine with that mobo.

all the best,

its running fine. Stable and fast. One crash so far - probably related to dodgy vst wrapped plugs. I'd say go for it.

jackp 08-15-2011 10:02 AM

I have a hd 2 accell so I will be installing a third card not a frth card there is room in pci 1 for the 3 rd card I have a usb card in pci 2 will this be ok. Are there any special installing instruction other than just install the card and hooking up the flex cable
Thanks Jack

Brandonx1 08-15-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackp (Post 1825054)
hey Guys I have Asus P5WDG2 Ws Professional with windows Xp pro
I'am running an hd 2 accell . In my 2 PCI-X slots I have 1 core, and 1 accell card
I have 2 extra PCI slots and there is room for another Accell Card beside the existing accell card. So is it ok to run a accell card in the one of the PCI slot Is there any special install instuction or do I just pop in the pci slot and boot it up
Thanks jack

Yes it's fine to have an hd 4 in the mb. I used an hd 4 in it for a few years and I worked very well

jackp 08-15-2011 02:25 PM

so its fine to run 3rd accell card in PCI slot 1
Thanks jack

Abomb97 10-02-2011 04:19 PM

....bump....

I made another post elsewhere but I wanted to keep the input and discussion going on finding a working Sandy Bridge solution for HD PCIx.

Dual Boot: Hackintosh osx / Win7 preferably!

J

Firechild 10-14-2011 03:09 AM

Have anyone tried to just cut/chop the extra "lanes" off to make the "PCI-X" hd card fit better in a tight mobo ?
What I understand the cards are PCI but for some strange reasons they used PCI-X form factor, but does it mean that the extra lanes are just dummies ?