Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   ...add more inputs to OMNI (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350554)

mandal 02-01-2014 02:29 PM

...add more inputs to OMNI

Gurus

I'm running PT11 HD Native and OMNI using the PCIe card.
I have 4 analog inputs and 4 digital (max 8 input)

How to add more analog inputs ?
I guess I can add a Behringer ADA8200 or Saffire or MOTU and connect via ADAT to my OMNI - but is it possible to use the PCIe port2 AES ?

Please advice...

Can you recommend me a tried & tested solution ?

Mandal

propower 02-01-2014 02:54 PM

Re: ...add more inputs to OMNI

Sure-
Hang a 192 off the expansion port
Hang AVID I/O off expansion port
Hang ISA 428 off ADAT ins

Darryl Ramm 02-01-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandal (Post 2128177)
Gurus

I'm running PT11 HD Native and OMNI using the PCIe card.
I have 4 analog inputs and 4 digital (max 8 input)

How to add more analog inputs ?
I guess I can add a Behringer ADA8200 or Saffire or MOTU and connect via ADAT to my OMNI - but is it possible to use the PCIe port2 AES ?

/snip/
Mandal

The Omni is an 8x8 IO box, you cannot add any more inputs going thought the Omni unless you give up some of the existing digital inputs--is that what you are asking or do you want to add more than 8 total inputs?. Otherwise, as pointed out you can add one or more other Digilink compatible interfaces and use them all together (that other interface cannot be another Omni, you can only have one per system).

mandal 02-01-2014 11:38 PM

:-) Thanks...

I just want to consider all the options...and yes I know that OMNI is an 8x8 IO box
I guess a total of 8 analog input is OK for me - and I just wonder how to find the best solution...

1) Replace 4 of the digital inputs with 4 analog using ADAT and a new box (Behringer ADA8200 or Saffire or MOTU)
2) Use the AES Port2 on my PCIe
3) Use the OMNI Expension Port and DigiLink

That other interface cannot be another Omni - :eek: yes I can see that in my HD OMNI GUIDE version 8.1 on page 18 :-)

Please advice...

Darryl Ramm 02-02-2014 07:49 AM

...add more inputs to OMNI

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandal (Post 2128288)
1) Replace 4 of the digital inputs with 4 analog using ADAT and a new box (Behringer ADA8200 or Saffire or MOTU)
2) Use the AES Port2 on my PCIe
3) Use the OMNI Expension Port and DigiLink

It is not clear what you mean by 'best', as asked it is impossible to answer your question. You need to decide. For many people 'best' may be a lot about the pre-amp quality if you want a pre-amp, but it is not clear at all if you are asking about pre-amps. You are talking about analog-in, is that line in or mic-in or instrument-in? Do you already own enough analog mic preamps? 'Best' in terms of future expansion, guaranteed compatibility with Pro Tools etc, would likely be a HD I/O 8x8x8 box or similar. 'Best' as just high-end conversion might be a Prism Sound box and a bank loan. 'Best' as in cheapest with no regard to audio quality would be a anything made by Berringer. Other ADAT options should be much better.

It is also totally unclear what you mean by "AES Port 2 on my PCIe" ...... on your PCIe what? The HD Native PCIe card (the only PCIe card you have mentioned) does not have a AES/EBU port, it has two Digilink mini ports. You can connect another Digilink interface to either the expansion port on the Omni or the second port on the PCIe card. If you have a separate PCIe card which does have multiple AES/EBU "ports" (like a Lynx16 say) then you cannot use it in conjunction with any Digilink interfaces as there is no way to aggregate those interfaces.

Tim R. 02-02-2014 08:15 AM

I opted for my Rosetta 800 with an X-HD card connected along with the OMNI. When tracking even larger sessions I use my old 96 I/O with the Rosetta on the ADAT port of the 96 I/O.

The OMNI is what it is.

DetroitT 02-03-2014 06:46 PM

Or:
PCIe port #2 (32 ch per port) >X-HD card>XHD-expansion port >96I/O add sync cable

mmk 02-06-2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propower (Post 2128183)
Sure-
Hang a 192 off the expansion port
Hang AVID I/O off expansion port
Hang ISA 428 off ADAT ins

that would be nice wow i have the omni didnt realize you could do that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 2128337)
I opted for my Rosetta 800 with an X-HD card connected along with the OMNI. When tracking even larger sessions I use my old 96 I/O with the Rosetta on the ADAT port of the 96 I/O.

The OMNI is what it is.

great idea...

mandal 02-07-2014 05:11 AM

...but if you connect a low-budget Behringer ADA8200 :-)

Should OMNI be the master-clock or ?

If the OMNI is the master-clock I guess the connection will be:

OMNI ADAT OUT ---> ADA8200 ADAT IN
OMNI ADAT IN <--- ADA8200 ADAT OUT

Correct ?

|_| Yes
|_| No

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Darryl Ramm 02-28-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Tele (Post 2136565)
So does connecting a 192 I/O or an Avid I/O to the expansion port of the OMNI give you more than 8 simultaneous inputs for recording?

OR...

Is the OMNI strictly limited to 8 inputs at one time no matter what?

Connecting another Digilink/TDM IO like a HD IO gives you all that IO, that is all separate from the Omni IO itself.

Darryl