Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   UGH! ''DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough.'' Tried many different solutions! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=281752)

Niglopte 09-09-2010 07:37 AM

UGH! ''DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough.'' Tried many different solutions!

Ok. So basically, PT has been giving me this:

"DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU upload." (i think its 1093 or something, i dont have it in front of me.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 with 3 gig ram. I am using a Digi002R.

I used to have bootcamp with windows XP on it, which I know is dumb. Ran PT 7.4 on it for a while and then this error started popping up about every 30 seconds of recording/playback.

I decided to revamp my computer. Started from scratch, Intalled snow leopard, and PT 8. went smooth for a session or two, and not we're back to the same freaking error!!! Completely different version of PT and completely different OS, but same problem still there. Very weird.

Then I noticed that my old firewire cable had a tare in it. didnt change anything, problem is still there.

Needless to say im at a loss now and i dont know where to go from there... I've had a hard time with that macbook pro. It used to shut down randomly (it stopped when i reinstalled the OS), had to change the hard drive, and ive always had problems with the disc drive. Total lemon, but i really dont have the cash for a new computer so hopefully we'll be able to find a solution here...

let me know!
thanks guys,
Nic

The Dougfather 09-09-2010 02:56 PM

Re: UGH! ''DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough.'' Tried many different solutio

No mention of an external firewire drive in your setup?

You shouldn't run your audio sessions from the internal drive for exact reasons that your experiencing.

Dism 09-09-2010 03:07 PM

Re: UGH! ''DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough.'' Tried many different solutio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niglopte (Post 1665444)
Ok. So basically, PT has been giving me this:

"DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU upload." (i think its 1093 or something, i dont have it in front of me.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 with 3 gig ram. I am using a Digi002R.

I used to have bootcamp with windows XP on it, which I know is dumb. Ran PT 7.4 on it for a while and then this error started popping up about every 30 seconds of recording/playback.

I decided to revamp my computer. Started from scratch, Intalled snow leopard, and PT 8. went smooth for a session or two, and not we're back to the same freaking error!!! Completely different version of PT and completely different OS, but same problem still there. Very weird.

Then I noticed that my old firewire cable had a tare in it. didnt change anything, problem is still there.

Needless to say im at a loss now and i dont know where to go from there... I've had a hard time with that macbook pro. It used to shut down randomly (it stopped when i reinstalled the OS), had to change the hard drive, and ive always had problems with the disc drive. Total lemon, but i really dont have the cash for a new computer so hopefully we'll be able to find a solution here...

let me know!
thanks guys,
Nic

It is a software requirement for Pro Tools to have a secondary drive to record to. In your case, an external FireWire drive (no USB!).

Niglopte 09-09-2010 03:33 PM

OK, thanks alot for the replies guys, its just weird that it has been working like that for a long long time and that all of a sudden it doesnt....

After 3 years of recording, I guess ill try, and then if that doesnt work, ill post again. Back to the basics for me...

I have a question though.... how exactly do I do this with only one firewire outlet on my computer?

Top Jimmy 09-09-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niglopte (Post 1665684)
I have a question though.... how exactly do I do this with only one firewire outlet on my computer?

Avid recommends Macbook>drive>interface. Even though the 002 has two firewire jacks, you shouldn't chain another device after it.

Be sure to get a minimum 7200 rpm drive, and the firewire bridge should be an Oxford 911/912/922/924.

kwebster 09-09-2010 03:53 PM

There has been a lot of conversation about this particular problem (I for one have gone through support a couple times regarding it).

I hope adding an external FW drive cures the problem for you, but make sure of the following, especially if you have to call support.

1. Go through their Help us Help You documentation thoroughly.
2. Use a FW drive that has the Oxford chipset.
3. Make sure you have the latest version of your plug-ins and virtual instruments.
4. Don't use a FW Hub.

Just some things I had to sign off on as I talked to tech support.

My solutions were one of two things.

Revert from 8.0.3 to 8.0.1 CS2 on Leopard 10.5.8

and ultimately

Clean install (format the entire hard drive) of Snow Leopard 10.5.3 and install 8.0.3

This has worked flawlessly thus far, but I'm questioning my Kontakt (Komplete) installation as this very error just cropped up in a recent session.

Good luck to you!

lucidlife 01-23-2014 06:31 PM

Is firewire really that much better than usb3? I have an opportunity to get a glyph drive tb but, it's usb 3

Darryl Ramm 01-23-2014 06:35 PM

USB 3 would be fine except your old MBP only has USB 2.

And your MBP is only a Core2 Duo so on the underpowered side anyhow. And you have a Firewire interface, so you've got a kind of crapshoot here. Firewire 800 disk will work better on a Mac than USB 2. But you are then putting a Firewire disk and interface on the same Firewire chain, and face possible problem with that.

Still I'd go with a proper-spec Firewire 800 drive (7,200 rpm or faster and Oxford Firewire chipset)... You may also have the option of replacing the optical drive in your MBP with a 2.5" SATA HDD or SSD (get a Samsung 840 Evo or Pro). Or even better get a new MBP :-)

And as always, a good SSD would be better than any HDD, especially if going internal and your optical bay has a SATA III connection (I'll check later...).

EDIT: Nope looks like the Superdrive in this old girl is PATA so an internal drive is a non-starter.