Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   RTAS & TDM Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   SSL waves native (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=355031)

capt kirk 05-30-2014 08:00 PM

SSL waves native

any of you pro mixers have strong opinions about these? vs the ssl ones...i need ssl tone without the desk, haha, if its possible or is it total baloney to sell junk......:confused:

YYR123 05-30-2014 10:25 PM

Re: SSL waves native

I'm not a pro but I never liked the waves SSL eq. Maybe personal idk but I would wait for UA to make one and then maybe I would try it....

My $0.02

Glenjb 05-30-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt kirk (Post 2160658)
any of you pro mixers have strong opinions about these? vs the ssl ones...i need ssl tone without the desk, haha, if its possible or is it total baloney to sell junk......:confused:

Demo waves NLS on spike mode, not an eq but it's got a cool sound I like it.

musicman691 05-31-2014 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2160672)
I'm not a pro but I never liked the waves SSL eq. Maybe personal idk but I would wait for UA to make one and then maybe I would try it....

My $0.02

UAD does have the SSL E series channel strip plugin.

And IK Multimedia has 2 different SSL channel strips; one they call the British Channel (dark panel) and a second one the call the White Channel (white panel).

justus1900 05-31-2014 05:20 AM

I use McDSP Channel G for my SSL E/G channel strip and I love it.

YYR123 05-31-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2160704)
UAD does have the SSL E series channel strip plugin.

And IK Multimedia has 2 different SSL channel strips; one they call the British Channel (dark panel) and a second one the call the White Channel (white panel).

Well I did not know that.

I will have to demo it......after I finish moving

nst7 05-31-2014 08:22 AM

All good options, but you should also demo the Waves ones. Many people feel that they are the closest to the real SSL sound, and they have a "punchiness" that none of the others seem to have.

Keep in mind that if you like it, you should just grab the Waves Studio Classics collection, which is on sale, and today is the last day it's on sale. This gives you the SSL, API collection, and V-Series (their original model of Neve).

With the sale, it's actually cheaper to get the Studio Classics than to get SSL by itself. Get it even cheaper at audiodeluxe.com ($449 when you add to cart).

capt kirk 05-31-2014 08:47 AM

well thats certainly what i'm looking for, is the punchiness, and hopefully the buss compressor does what its supposed to . :-)

demodigi 05-31-2014 09:27 AM

You may add Native instruments (made by Softube) option to the dance : Solid mix series

I tried Waves (years ago) and IK White and British channels, McDSP channel G and NI recently. I never tried UAD nor SSL versions though.

Waves (SSL4000) is really great and have 2 modes (Analog and digital). I really liked the analog mode because, if you put too much gain in a EQ-band, you can quickly hear it adds too much distorsion to the sound and revert back to a wiser gain. And yes, it is punchy. It's very easy to get a good result with the EQs.

Apart from Waves, I prefered IK's channelstrip because I found them really efficient (but maybe more "cliché")and have 2 curve options (B curve) and 2 really distinctive "colours" :
- I am not 100% sure but the Black channel is an emulation of SSL4k channelstrip (more vintage tone)
- while White channel has a more modern/silky tone (SSL9k ?).
- also the Bus compression is a good one too (with MS option) and Neve emulations are also great (both comp and EQs).

NI has a different colour (more silky). Not really convinced by the EQ (as an emulation), but it does the job (more common/precise EQ to my opinion). It also has E and G curve modes. Though, the bus comp is my favorite one (especially with the option to mix the dry & comped signals)

McDSP Channel G is really cool if you want a good channelstrip and different colors (SSL E, Neve, API, etc) for comp & EQs. Very versatile tool but not pretend to be a close emulation.

capt kirk 05-31-2014 12:18 PM

thanks for that....i appreciate it, from an actual user...