Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I'm losing confidence in Avid (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=371249)

Arc360 08-28-2015 07:22 AM

I'm losing confidence in Avid

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at my options with the software available for home recording. I have to say I'm losing confidence in Avid. I have been navigating the Avid web page to see what kind of plug ins, effects and expansion packs I can buy. I have so far looked at Komplete. Air. Nugen audio. Steinberg. Focusrite etc. What I am looking for is one plug in that is like a live effect pedal board that has every effect pedal in the market. I am looking for one expansion pack that has a sound bank with 10,000+ sounds.

The Avid web page is very vague when it comes to telling you what is in the product concerning Pro tools 12. Other than saying that it has 60 virtual instruments. It doesn't tell you if they are orchestral instruments or synthesizers, drum machines etc.

Another problem is that I cannot find out which of all these options are compatible with pro tools. The Avid web page advertises that nugen audio software is compatible with pro tools. When I went to the Nugen audio web page from what I read it is only compatible with cubase crossgrade 8.

Avid needs to simplify their webpage. With a much more accessible and informative description of what each plug in and expansion packs are available and more importantly what they do.

I understand the eleven rack. You buy it and you get industry leading amps. Simple.

In conclusion what I am asking for with this post is a short list of essentials that I will need for creating music using Pro tools.

Any help you give is appreciated. Thanks.

nst7 08-28-2015 07:45 AM

Re: I'm losing confidence in Avid

I don't know if one single product will give you everything you need.

As for the built in VI's of Protools, I will go through them:

1. Xpand2 - a general purpose instrument very similar to something like a Yamaha Motif or Korg Triton, etc. A huge variety of sounds to do a lot of things with. But similar to those keyboards, in that if you want really specialized details, you will want to buy specific VI's that specialize in a particular instrument. For example, it does have some basic orchestral sounds, but if you're a serious composer you will want to buy a VI that is specifically for that. For example, there will be basic string section sounds, but not all the articulations and velocity levels of a specific strings software.

Basically if you go into a music store and play one of the keyboards by Korg, Yamaha or Roland, it will be very similar to that. So basically it's very versatile for a lot of pop stuff, especially for free.

2. Boom - a basic drum machine type thing with sounds for rap/techno/hip hop/electronic, etc.

3. DB33 - an emulation of various organs.

4. Mini Grand - a very decent sounding piano

5. Vacuum - monophonic synth

6. Structure Free - not even worth messing with.

As for actual guitar effects like a pedalboard, your best bet, by far, is to buy Amplitube 3. It's on sale for $69 (less through some dealers) and includes tons of effects pedals that are some of the best emulations, in my opinion. Plus a bunch of great amps and rack effects. It's priced very low right now because Amplitube 4 will be out soon. I don't know what upgrades will cost, but Amplitube 3 should work for quite a while.

Note that you can download the basic free version of Amplitube 3, which has a few effects and amps already, so you can see how it works.

As for a general package with a lot of sounds, I would say that Komplete or Komplete Ultimate are a good way to go.

As for Nugen Audio, all of their stuff is compatible with Protools.

For any plugin you look at, you want it to say AAX compatible and it will work in Protools.

Benoni 08-28-2015 08:00 AM

Another option for a pedal board plugin is Waves GTR3. It lets you load just the pedal board (no amp, cab to deal with) If you can find it for ~$60 grab it.

Amplitube 3 for $69 is a good deal indeed, so consider that too.

Also BIAS FX would be another option.

For a VI with lots of sounds, I'd go with Kontakt, but I would actually recommend getting it with Komplete. Structure is fine, but it does not get updated and there are not nearly as many libraries for it.

You can see the exact plugins that come with Pro Tools 12 here:
https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...dledAAXplugins

And looking for third party plugins on the Avid page will not be ideal. Look at forums, YouTube, ect... for info on plugins and visit the manufacturers page. As nst7 mentioned, just make sure it is AAX (64 bit) and it will work with Pro Tools 11 and 12.

Also, there is a LIVE Pro Tools webinar on Sept. 2 - you will be able to ask questions in the Q/A section, so don't lose faith yet, sign up for the webinar.
http://connect.avid.com/Pro-Tools-12...0131000001DPvK

Arc360 08-28-2015 08:20 AM

When I heard that Abbey Road studios was converting to Pro tools. I decided then that I wanted to too. I am just frustrated with the accessibility of the web page. I went to www.avid.com/plugins I know what equalizers. Compressers and limiters etc do. I could not find out in detail what I would get when buying Pro tools 12.1.

I am more interested now in what is available regarding instrumentation and creation.

Arc360 08-28-2015 08:23 AM

P.s Thanks nst7 and Benoni.

Craig F 08-28-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

For any plugin you look at, you want it to say AAX compatible and it will work in Protools.
AAX64 for 11 & 12
AAX32/RTAS for 10 (RTAS for anything below 10)

I'm not aware of a single pedal board PI

Quote:

Avid needs to simplify their webpage.
I've been saying that for years and it keeps going the other way

the problem with one persons short list is that it's another person list of uselessness. it really depends on what you are trying to do and what your likes and dislikes are

Arc360 08-28-2015 08:55 AM

I think what I am going to have to do on the advice of previous posts is spend a day in a good music shop and try out all the hardware to find out what kind of sound I'm looking for then see if there are software options.

I also think I'm going to have to buy an external pedal board so I know what I'm getting. I think the problem here is that the industry in general do not want to step on each others toes by providing one product that will meet all your needs.

The type of music I am looking to create is mainstream pop/indie/rock.

The Killers. Maccabees and Editors.

I need to subscribe to Sound on Sound to find out what hardware/software they are using.

Any more ideas?.

Arc360 08-28-2015 09:33 AM

If anyone is reading this from Avid HQ.
I studied for two years in college with music technology. I know my way around a studio. If I do not know what I'm getting for my money. What hope does someone with no knowledge of recording have. If you want to dominate the market you are going to have to simplify your web page and provide advantages over the competition. Look at apples web page for example.

I will however still be buying Pro tools because with research I believe it is the best on the market.

YYR123 08-28-2015 09:42 AM

I'm losing confidence in Avid

The web page has been sub par for years now, nothing new there

If you think that's bad try navigating the support pages of the site...

TOM@METRO 08-28-2015 09:59 AM

Hi Arc360,

I appreciate the level of frustration you are experiencing. We have all gone through it. The solution though (in spite of the desire for a better one), is simply to read, read, read. All the answers are out there, but not always easy to find.

You are correct in your assessment that there is no "one size fits all" solution.

Many websites are very confusing at first, and Avid's is not an exception to this. There is so much information to disseminate that making it easy is a paramount challenge.

If you persevere, you will prevail. But not without a significant investment in research.

Again, your own thoughts about visiting music stores and subscribing to industry magazines is spot on.

Welcome to the jungle. :-)