Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Digidesign Hardware & Software (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Session 8 interface looks like 882 studio ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=136428)

blackmacdaddy 05-09-2005 02:19 PM

Session 8 interface looks like 882 studio ?

Hi all,

I use a Digi 001 for my main DAW.

However I recently acquired a Session 8 Studio interface with NO card.

I was hoping on using said interface on a 9600 I have to record live band performances where I do house sound.

Is this possible? If so what would I need to find?

I saw yeoldecomputershoppe have Amedeus cards for sale on ebay, would these work with a session 8 studio?

I would actually mix the files elsewhere, so I'm mainly interested in recording 8 tracks live off the 24-4 mackie we have in the club at 16 bit 44.1.

Any help is much appreciated :-)

Thanks to all with any info.

Walt

markemery 05-11-2005 07:00 PM

Re: Session 8 interface looks like 882 studio ?

The 882 Studio and the Session 8 interface is one and the same thing. You can use an 882 Studio w/ a standard PT III system (Nubus) if it is the first interface --- that is, it is connected to I/O card #1 (assuming you have more than one I/O card; and PT III without more than one I/O card is a tragedy). I don't know if the 882 Studio would work with project cards for PCI... don't see why not, as long as cable is the same (looks like a SCSI 2 connector).

Session 8 systems (Session 8 software, 882 Studio, external SCSI drive, interface card(s), & optional fader board [fader board was made in the pre-motorized fader days]) were made for Mac Nubus, as well as PCs with an ISA bus. Session 8 systems are limited to 8 tracks; like having a Tascam 688 only digital. Session 8 cards for Mac are same as PT III I/O card without TDM piggyback card.
I could sell you a set of the PC session 8 cards if you wanted (fader board as well), provided you have an old PC w/ ISA bus sitting around... but the technology is old; 8 track limitation is pretty severe. Why bother? Better to use the 882 Studio as a plant stand, a doorstop, or an ex-wive talisman for voodoo ceremonies (they're quite similar: old, cold, & there never was much output) & put your money where it'll do more good.

blackmacdaddy 05-16-2005 04:33 PM

Thanks Mark.

I really only thought it be cool to get a "no budge" 8 track of sorts working at the club I work for. (As a step up from a 2 tk cassette! Ha!)

Guess I'll keep an eye out for an old Project Nubus card, cause I have an Newertech 266mhz upgrade in an old 8100 mac that I could use.

Thanks much for the info!

Walt

markemery 05-16-2005 08:43 PM

At the moment (5/16), there's a suitable card on eBay, item #7323151667. It's a PT III I/O card; this is essentially a Session 8 card, with a PT III TDM card piggybacked on it. It should still work for you, and it comes with the disk drive cable, which is hard to find. The starting bid is $25, very reasonable; the only reason I haven't picked it up as a spare for my PT III system is that he wants $20 to ship from Florida to California, which makes it a little too expensive for a whim purchase. Should work for you though: then all you need is an external SCSI drive (I have some extra Avid 9 GB units if you're interested), the cable for the card to interface connection, and the software. (I've got an old Session 8 software/manual kit for Mac still in the box I could sell for cheap.) So if you want to go this route, the resources are definitely there.