Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How To : The ADR Gospel (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=270918)

dr sound 04-03-2010 05:10 PM

How To : The ADR Gospel

While we all feel software will cure all, for good ADR you need
"The 4 P's:
"Pitch:
You need the Actors to get their pitch correctly when performing in an ADR Stage. When Actors are in front of a crew and the camera they typically have a higher pitched voice because the are the focus of the moment. Get their pitch correct by directing them on the ADR stage

Performance
This is the area where you see if you have a seasoned Pro. If the Actor can recreate his/her performance in a room while looking at a screen and matching the cadence of the original. You would be surprised how may can't repeat their performance.

Placement
This is how and where you place the mic to duplicate the original recording. Was it boomed or is it a lav? How far away was the mic?

Placement
This is the placement of the lines once recorded back into the mix session making sure they are matched for sync on the Dialog session for the Re-Recording Mixer to mix.

If you do not follow the 4P's you will have ADR that sounds or looks wrong.
If you follow the 4 P's you will have a much better chance of the ADR blending into the soundtrack and being invisible to the audience.
Good Luck.

ggegan 04-04-2010 08:36 AM

Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Vocal projection is a big issue with regard to performance. Vocal quality changes significantly depending on how much the actor pushes their voice.

ADR mixers have to be very careful about giving actors direction in order not to run afoul of the pecking order, but I often was able to surreptitiously alter the actor's delivery by raising or lowering the headphone level.

Higher level = more projection, lower level = softer delivery.

TVPostSound 04-04-2010 09:25 AM

Under PLACEMENT, I would also add the the type of room the mic will be PLACED in!!!

Record talent in a shoe box, you will never EQ out the comb filtering.

Speaking of shoe boxes, why do I always get ADR from NY shot in closets???
Is real estate that tight??

Postman 04-04-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

why do I always get ADR from NY shot in closets??? Is real estate that tight??
Oh, pot shots from the other coast! I'd say your clients are not hiring the right places. Without knowing where your clients are working it is hard to comment except in general terms. Not everyone has "closets", but many do and the numbers are growing. I've gotten stuff from the west coast that was in a tiny room with a cheap microphone, so to imply it is only New York is not fair. I had a much longer post but I realized it will drag this thread off topic.

Ayush Ahuja 04-04-2010 12:03 PM

A finer detail which I find very important (as i'm in the process of dubs) is breathing - if they follow when they breathe in the guide audio and whether they say a line in one breath or two truly affects performance as well and can sometimes go unnoticed.

Yush

Giftofsound 04-04-2010 12:16 PM

This is a nice thread! Thanks dr. Sound. I agree with Yush. On lower budget projects a proper ADR script and ADR director are often non existent. Having subtle breaths , inhales, exhales, scoffs ect.. written into the ADR cues or at least recorded as a separate take for "breaths" or "vocal emotes" is very important. This is often an oversight and should not be if the ADR is meant to work!

Ayush Ahuja 04-04-2010 12:50 PM

Hi Matt,

Apart from a breath/vocal emotives track i was implying breathing patterns during dialogue delivery - sometimes a word is said during an exhale or an inhale, sometimes a pause doesn't have a breath and the next few words are said in the same breath - it really helps in matching performance and emotion.

Yush.

Giftofsound 04-04-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayush Ahuja (Post 1585580)
i was implying breathing patterns during dialogue delivery ...

Right on! ;) Tons of practical info in this thread!

infiniteloop 04-04-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVPostSound (Post 1585489)
Under PLACEMENT, I would also add the the type of room the mic will be PLACED in!!!
Speaking of shoe boxes, why do I always get ADR from NY shot in closets???
Is real estate that tight??

Haven't you been? It really is extremely tight! You should go, and when you get into your hotel room, try to reconcile that it isn't the entrance hall you're in, but the entire room! I once stayed at The Paramount and myself and my wife had to exit the bed on the same side.

philper 04-04-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr sound (Post 1585209)
While we all feel software will cure all, for good ADR you need
"The 4 P's:
"Pitch:
You need the Actors to get their pitch correctly when performing in an ADR Stage. When Actors are in front of a crew and the camera they typically have a higher pitched voice because the are the focus of the moment. Get their pitch correct by directing them on the ADR stage

Performance
This is the area where you see if you have a seasoned Pro. If the Actor can recreate his/her performance in a room while looking at a screen and matching the cadence of the original. You would be surprised how may can't repeat their performance.

Placement
This is how and where you place the mic to duplicate the original recording. Was it boomed or is it a lav? How far away was the mic?

Placement
This is the placement of the lines once recorded back into the mix session making sure they are matched for sync on the Dialog session for the Re-Recording Mixer to mix.

If you do not follow the 4P's you will have ADR that sounds or looks wrong.
If you follow the 4 P's you will have a much better chance of the ADR blending into the soundtrack and being invisible to the audience.
Good Luck.

I say stickie this immediately.

Philip Perkins