Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Portable hard drives vs. desktop hard drives (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=260612)

NHH 12-02-2009 05:48 AM

Portable hard drives vs. desktop hard drives
 
Just wondered - but is there any real difference or benefit of having a desktop external hard drive as opposed to a portable version?

The portable ext. HD's are usually less cumbersome and therefore tidier on the desk.

Any thoughts?

The Dougfather 12-02-2009 06:01 AM

Re: Portable hard drives vs. desktop hard drives
 
Ultimately you will get better performance from a desktop because they will have 7200rpm drives over a 5400rpm.

Needless to say i have been using Lacie Little disks (One of the few FW400 bus powered drives left) with respectable track counts (30 ish) for years because i don't want to carry round an intrusive powerpack. I wouldn't use one on a big session but for my mobile stuff it's plenty.

NHH 12-02-2009 06:05 AM

Re: Portable hard drives vs. desktop hard drives
 
Thanks.

It was more for general backing up than spinning the PT audio files.

I hadn't realised (well, noticed) that most portable drives are only 5400rpm.

Cheers.

getz76 12-02-2009 07:29 AM

Re: Portable hard drives vs. desktop hard drives
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougfather (Post 1506061)
Ultimately you will get better performance from a desktop because they will have 7200rpm drives over a 5400rpm.

There are plenty of 7,200 RPM 2.5" drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougfather (Post 1506061)
Needless to say i have been using Lacie Little disks (One of the few FW400 bus powered drives left)

Oyen Digital is another option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougfather (Post 1506061)
i don't want to carry round an intrusive powerpack. I wouldn't use one on a big session but for my mobile stuff it's plenty.

More importantly, generally the handling tolerances of 2.5" drives are tenfold (literally, look up some specifications) of 3.5" drives. 3.5" drives are meant for installation, not transportation. If you are planning on using a drive as part of a mobile rig, strongly consider a 2.5" drive.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com