Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   problem with ezdrummer (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=261128)

djkiller 12-08-2009 11:05 PM

problem with ezdrummer

so i like ezdrummer and most of the time i find i have to adjust in the mixer it has to get my snares and bass hits to mix well. during transitions on parts however i need to run a second ez drummer and adjust the mixer in easy drummer again and level out the drums to match the transitions in volume. i know i may not be doing it the right way but i usually set up an instrument track put ez drummer on it and bus out to an aux for compression and fx if needed and overall grouping other drums.

however i put some midi i imported from ezdrummer on another ezdrummer instrument track lets call it ezdrummer2 and sent that to the aux with the first ez drummer. but the midi on the second instrument track doesn't pick it up even though it's on that track. the first ez drummer i have set up picks it up instead. some reason it goes through the first ex drummer even though the midi isn't even on that track and it's on the second one. this obviously doesn't work because now i have no control for the next drum part of the song to match the first part and mix it to fit.

what gives?

djkiller 12-08-2009 11:45 PM

Re: problem with ezdrummer

i ended up changing it in protools in the velocity setting and it patches it for now and it ups it but still would like to have control over the second part so i can bring out some more definition on my kicks in the mixer :P anyone?

nod25 12-09-2009 12:02 AM

Is the input of the second Ez Drummer midi channel set to your second instance of Ez Drummer?

djkiller 12-09-2009 12:25 AM

i did instrument tracks.... but i went through all the inputs on the second and no signal and went through all the ones on the first also and nothing effected any of them still the same. on the channel strip inputs i see plugins and ez2,ez3,ez4, ect. i'm kinda lost.

i ended up highlighting the midi and making the velocity higher to match in volume but my kicks on the second still need to be turned up from a second one in the ezdrum mixer blah. i have no idea.

jimp 12-09-2009 12:42 AM

Hard to tell without being there, but you might want to try copy/pasting the MIDI data from the EZD Instrument tracks into 2 new MIDI tracks (NOT Instrument tracks). Create 2 new stereo AUX tracks and put an EZD on each one. Try a different drum kit on each one just so you know you are hearing the differences. When you go to the output of the MIDI tracks you should (hopefully) have a choice of the two EZDs. See if that works and then take the bussing/routing as desired from there. Just a hunch.

eyrespace 12-09-2009 02:14 AM

Use the View drop down menu to show instrument tracks in the edit window. You can select the output of your instrument track from there.

djkiller 12-09-2009 08:33 AM

thanks guys... i will try both suggestions when i get home from work this evening. i'm sure i'll just have to re assign some things and waste some time but that's ok. i'm just trying to get all my midi in order and i'm just laying down decent scratch tracks for guitars and bass till i get my api a2d and dangerous box in a few weeks to go back, record and eventually analog sum.

JohnPaul Grim 12-11-2009 11:08 PM

hey man, you should really drop ez drummer and get steven slate drums.
they,
are
amazing!

plus it works like a dream in protools and logic

Mahkyb 12-29-2009 07:22 AM

Hey John Paul....

I've been looking a getting Steven Slate drums but was worried about using Kontakt. I was looking on the website and it looks like they have some kind of
Virtual player for Slate drums.(?) Have you used this player?

I'm also looking at Addictive Drums. I have the demo and it's very easy to use....

Thanks!

albee1952 12-29-2009 10:47 AM

Back to the OP, I am confused on why you need 2 ezdrummer tracks? What is the goal? I run ezdrummer on a stereo INSTRUMENT track, then assign it as multi-track(ezdrummer MIXER) and then use a batch of stereo AUX tracks for everything(Kick stays on EZ track 1 which is the original INSTRUMENT track). I treat each of these tracks like I would treat any audio track with drums on it. Normal plugins with some EQ, Aux sends from all the "shell" tracks(kick, snare, toms) to a stereo AUX track for buss compression. It works great and sounds great. What are you missing on the way to your ultimate goal?