Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does anyone still use an analog console? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=239414)

tubefixer 02-15-2009 03:34 PM

Does anyone still use an analog console?

Been mixing in the box for a while, but hate to see my 24x8 and 16 channel
boards just gatheing dust... What does everyone use analog boards for
in the studio anymore.... Didn't see this thread anywhere thanks....

Ryan Young 02-15-2009 04:05 PM

Re: Does anyone still use an analog console?

I use mine for tracking. Everything goes into my analog board, then into Pro Tools via main outs, aux, and sends. As far as mixing, it's all in the box.

barismanco123 02-15-2009 08:36 PM

wow, of course mate.

It is all about using the best of both worlds.

Regards, Baris

ChrisMitchell 02-16-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubefixer (Post 1353313)

Heck yeah, like Baris wrote, it's all about using the best of both worlds. I've been using an Amek Media 51 (28 input) console since, Jan 2004. Before that, had an old Trident. I record using the console (plus external mic pres) into PT through the 96 i/o's.

I mix 90% OTB using the console and rack gear, but I do use Auto-Tune, along with Sound Replacer, EQ, compressor, gain. Whatever does the job the best for the least amount of work and gives the best results.

lwilliam 02-16-2009 08:22 AM

Most of what I record is 1-2 tracks at a time. With that in mind, I still use my Mackie 1604 for latency-free monitoring when recording. I split my preamp signal and send it directly to my RME input with the 2nd out normalled to a line in on my Mackie. My main 002R outputs go into 2 channels there and headphone monitoring is done from the board's headphone output. True, latency-free monitoring. [now if Digi would allow you to disable software monitoring globally, it would be even better]

I also have several keyboards plugged in and have the board's 4 sub outs patched into my RME so I can record anything I assign to those subs.

EGS 02-16-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubefixer (Post 1353313)

Sell the analog board. Use quality outboard mic-pres on the way in, mix in-the-box with quality plugs and a Kensington Expert Pro Trackball and a Frontier Designs Alphatrack, monitor/talkback controls with a Presonus Central Station. My 2 cents.

KingFish 02-16-2009 10:36 AM

About 25% of my mixing gigs are still "Out through a console / Hardware processing" , usually an SSL or Neve desk, but more and more, it's ending up "In the box"

albee1952 02-16-2009 12:14 PM

No analog desk in my studio. I think if I had the money for a decent one, I would be more likely to get a C24 and more high-end mic preamps(like Vintech or API).

DrFord 02-16-2009 12:58 PM

I think nowadays more people are leaning towards quality summing from the companies who do the baords. Vintech, Neve, URS, theres TONS of companies out there taking the "sound" of their consoles and making a rack piece that is just a master summing bus.

If you have the outs, and the boards are decent, you should try doing mixdowns and see if you get better 2 tracks than your in the box mixes. Ears are the judge.

Now if you like, you can always frankenstine the mic pres and eqs, and make it into "lunchboxes" for your rack. Think of the API or neve mic pres.

D

EGS 02-16-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFord (Post 1353729)
I think nowadays more people are leaning towards quality summing...

There are high-quality plugs that (arguably) emulate analog devices. For me, though, the biggest advantages of mixing-in-the-box (ITB) are:

1) 100% automation

2) 100% mix recall.

In the "old days of analog mixing" mix recall was always ... close ... but never 100% perfect. Use Pro mics and Pro mic-pres and Pro-ADs and mix in-the-box with Pro plugs. My 2 cent/ears.