Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Plugin Bypass Not Retained When Sharing Sessions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400494)

moogboy100 08-05-2018 04:04 PM

Plugin Bypass Not Retained When Sharing Sessions

2 Attachment(s)
Noticed that plugin bypass settings are not being retained when sharing sessions with other PT rigs, if one of the rigs does not have the plugin installed.

For example, a session has a plugin bypassed, for example, Pro Compressor.
Then that session is opened and saved on another rig which does NOT have Pro Compressor installed (in which case on it will appear inactivated).
Then send that session back to the first rig (the one that does have Pro Compressor) and when the session opens, the plugin is no longer in bypass.
All other settings of the plugin are retained...just bypass is lost.

This is a major problem when sharing sessions between rigs that don't have all the same plugins.

I see this in 2018.4 and 2018.7. Not sure about earlier v12 versions, but this has never seemed to be a problem until now, so I'm thinking this is an issue in 2018.

Attached are before and after shots. First is an original test session, and second is opening the session after it has been on a PT rig that did not have the Abbey Road plugin.

mufi 08-06-2018 05:35 AM

Re: Plugin Bypass Not Retained When Sharing Sessions

You mean the automation playlist for bypass dissapears, or the plugin is not automated and it just flips state?

its2loud 08-06-2018 07:11 AM

What happens if you make that plugin inactive in your session while bybassed. Will it stay bypassed when its reactivated? I cant recall the behavior off the top of my head.

moogboy100 08-06-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2496224)
What happens if you make that plugin inactive in your session while bybassed. Will it stay bypassed when its reactivated? I cant recall the behavior off the top of my head.

Yeah opening session with all plugins disabled/inactive still results in the same thing.

We tried this across several Mac's, all running 2018.4. Same thing. If the plugin isn't on the system, bypass state gets lost.

moogboy100 08-06-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mufi (Post 2496218)
You mean the automation playlist for bypass dissapears, or the plugin is not automated and it just flips state?

No automation, just the flip state.

moogboy100 08-14-2018 10:29 AM

A little more info. Noticed that it only seems to be Native plugins that are losing their bypass state. The DSP one's have stayed bypassed (although the 2nd rig was a Native rig so not sure if that's why it only broke the native plugin's bypass state when moved back over to the original HDX rig.)