Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Remove "missing" video from session?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384402)

kirkbross 09-22-2016 04:26 PM

Remove "missing" video from session??

I have a session that used to have a video, but no longer does.

I get a "missing video" dialog every time I open the session.

I can't find the video clip in my clips bin. Missing AUDIO shows up in italics, but no sign of video clips in the bin.

"Show" video doesn't exist in the clip dropdown.

How do I get rid of this freaking video so it stops asking for it?

(latest Pro Toos 12, Mac 10.11.5)

john1192 09-22-2016 07:39 PM

Re: Remove "missing" video from session??

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkbross (Post 2383027)

I can't find the video clip in my clips bin. Missing AUDIO shows up in italics, but no sign of video clips in the bin.

I assume NO but have to ask just in case .. do you still have a video track in the session ?? a hidden one maybe ?? if so delete that track .. you could Import Session Data to a new Bank Session but that would be last resort ..

if none of this is relevant please just disregard ..

cheers john

amagras 09-23-2016 06:09 AM

That's something I've experienced too, you can't treat video files the same way as audio files.
For example if I accidentally delete a video file from the hard drive that's been used in a session, Pro Tools will ask for it even if I delete the empty video track and clean the pool or whatever the window on the right side is called. I'm pretty sure it's my lack of understanding rather than a problem with the software so I'm subscribing to this thread to see if someone knows the solution.

joachim 09-23-2016 07:30 AM

Maybe have a look into the Workspace Browser, under the sessions video files folder. And delete it there.

CygnusX-1Bk2 09-23-2016 10:39 AM

You can find the filename in the clip bin. The name will be italic and gray. Select it then either shift+cmd+B or click the arrow in the clip bin top right corner and select clear. This will remove the reference to the video file from the session. Same goes for missing audio files that are no longer needed.

amagras 09-23-2016 03:29 PM

Not that easy, at least in my case.

--update--I still have to check what Joachim said, will get back as soon as I find out if it works or not.

Nirvana5253 09-24-2016 10:15 AM

View the clip bin by "select unused" then delete and remove from session and disk.

Jon_Atkinson 09-26-2016 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana5253 (Post 2383339)
View the clip bin by "select unused" then delete and remove from session and disk.

I am actually getting this behaviour too, same as Kirkbross.

The video file is not in the Clip Bin, and has been removed from the session (not hidden, the track was deleted from the session and the clip deleted from the Clip Bin)

I still get the error message on startup that 1 Video File is missing, and then a couple of minutes later the Task Manager popup saying that it can't be located.

Searching in the Workspace shows that there is no video file in the 'video files' folder.

I believe that this 'bug' is created when a new session is created using 'save as' and then the video file from the original session is deleted. The session retains some sort of link to the video file even though it's been removed from the session properly.

onosendai 09-26-2016 03:49 AM

Quote:

If the bin menu "show" doesn't list "Video" try using the hotkey ctrl/cmd+shift+3 and check if the file appears. If the clip bin has many files try and "Sort by" "Clip Type" to make it easier for yourself.
As has already been mentioned check the workspace browser video folder and if there is still no dice, maybe try and delete the "WaveCache.wfm" file in the session folder before opening the session in pro tools.

Frank Kruse 09-26-2016 03:57 AM

Quote:

I've been asking for this for years:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...st/160741-3779

Your video is most likely part of a clip-group and has become offline. It's impossible to find or remove it unless you find and ungroup the clip-group that contains that clip. AT the moment there is no function in PT that will show you those clips. They will forever remain offline and "invisible" unless you find that parent group. Even more difficult to impossible to find if it's a group that's inside a group.

Frank.

amagras 09-26-2016 05:31 AM

Voting Frank's idea. This along with the I/O useless startup messages should be priority.

CygnusX-1Bk2 09-26-2016 11:53 AM

You could always create a new session and import data from the old session into the new one which will sort of do and end run around the problem.

amagras 09-26-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 (Post 2383705)
You could always create a new session and import data from the old session into the new one which will sort of do and end run around the problem.

I'm almost sure someone suggested that before but let's be honest, do you really think this should be our solution in 2016? I started having examples of artificial intelligence since I was a child but at this point we can only access this amount of technology only in the presidential debate ;)
No hostile spirit here, tho

ddpmusic 04-04-2018 11:19 AM

Found the solution!

Had the same problem for a while.

1. Go to Workspace
2. Select the Session folder (below the Volumes folder)
3. Open the Video Files folder (on the right side column)
(4). There you can see the missing video file out-grayed
5. Select and Drag&Drop that missing/out-grayed file into the PT edit window.
(6). Now you get an error window because the file doesn't exist anymore.
7. Click OK
(8). The Video Files folder will disappear in front of your eyes ;-)
9. Save the Session
10. Re-open the session
11. Enjoy life again!!

voxone 04-12-2018 02:16 AM

Thanks ddpmusic! Your solution is THE solution to this problem!

kirkbross 04-24-2018 04:35 PM

Thank you!

kirkbross 04-21-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddpmusic (Post 2483223)
Found the solution!

Had the same problem for a while.

1. Go to Workspace
2. Select the Session folder (below the Volumes folder)
3. Open the Video Files folder (on the right side column)
(4). There you can see the missing video file out-grayed
5. Select and Drag&Drop that missing/out-grayed file into the PT edit window.
(6). Now you get an error window because the file doesn't exist anymore.
7. Click OK
(8). The Video Files folder will disappear in front of your eyes ;-)
9. Save the Session
10. Re-open the session
11. Enjoy life again!!

Actually this didn't work. Dragging the missing video to the windows does produce the error, but clicking okay doesn't remove the video folder or the phantom video file.

Right clicking on the phantom file in Workspace has a Delete option in the context menu, but it's a fake out because selecting that give you an error, 'this function is not for deleting, try deleting the Video Track instead' ... which of course is already long gone.

fizpop 05-09-2019 11:04 AM

@kirkbross, did you figure it out? I have the same issue as you with the solution not working. In case anyone doesnt know yet, its a Pro Tools standard "feature" only HD / Ultimate can work with video files properly, ie being able to see and remove them in the clips list. As long as I have used Pro Tools, the standard version hasnt been able to do this.

BScout 05-09-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizpop (Post 2524512)
In case anyone doesnt know yet, its a Pro Tools standard "feature" only HD / Ultimate can work with video files properly, ie being able to see and remove them in the clips list. As long as I have used Pro Tools, the standard version hasnt been able to do this.

That's not true. Way back in Pro Tools 9, I could use the regular version of Pro Tools and see and remove video from the clip list. Are you sure you just don't have it hidden in the clip list as a type?

JLeigh2024 05-05-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkbross (Post 2522587)
Actually this didn't work. Dragging the missing video to the windows does produce the error, but clicking okay doesn't remove the video folder or the phantom video file.

Right clicking on the phantom file in Workspace has a Delete option in the context menu, but it's a fake out because selecting that give you an error, 'this function is not for deleting, try deleting the Video Track instead' ... which of course is already long gone.

Yes! 100% this. I've been looking for a solution to this for years. Thought I'd finally stumbled on it in this thread, but having the same result as kirkbross

JaimeGB 06-12-2023 11:33 AM

I just landed on this threat because I was having the same problem and in my case it gave me the hint I needed. I was not showing auto created regions in my clip list and there, I found a couple of clips of the old video file. Selected, cleared and done.