Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Video Engine error when system is idle (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=385282)

Interactivesound 10-15-2016 02:25 PM

Video Engine error when system is idle

I find I'm getting consistent video engine errors after I leave my Pro Tools system idle for a period of time. Maybe 5 minutes, go get a cup of coffee, come back and as soon as I press play or move the cursor, I get an error. I need to quit the session, relaunch the video engine, then all is ok. This has been very consistant for me since Pro Tools 12 was released. I'm now on 12.6. Anyone else have this problem?

Wizzoboy 10-15-2016 04:06 PM

Re: Video Engine error when system is idle

No, I've never had that problem. What OS are you running? If you have had this since 12.0, it would suggest the problem is somewhere in your system. Maybe a software or hardware conflict. Have you tried the usual things such as trashing preferences and doing all the recommended optimizations?

Interactivesound 10-15-2016 07:00 PM

Yes, I've done all the trashing and reinstalling on this system. I do think it is tied to the system. With 12.6 is the most repeatable the problem has been. For that I'm really grateful, at least now I know what to do. I have 2 systems, different specs hardware wise, but both running 10.9.5. One is fine, though there were certain versions that didn't like that machine and preferred my main system.

john1192 10-16-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactivesound (Post 2389323)
Yes, I've done all the trashing and reinstalling on this system. I do think it is tied to the system. With 12.6 is the most repeatable the problem has been. For that I'm really grateful, at least now I know what to do. I have 2 systems, different specs hardware wise, but both running 10.9.5. One is fine, though there were certain versions that didn't like that machine and preferred my main system.

are your systems on the compatibility list ?? what computers, how much ram, 3rd party plugins , etc .. need all the info you can give ..

smurfyou 10-16-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactivesound (Post 2389263)
I find I'm getting consistent video engine errors after I leave my Pro Tools system idle for a period of time. Maybe 5 minutes, go get a cup of coffee, come back and as soon as I press play or move the cursor, I get an error. I need to quit the session, relaunch the video engine, then all is ok. This has been very consistant for me since Pro Tools 12 was released. I'm now on 12.6. Anyone else have this problem?

I had problems like this using a slower hard drive for video. If you're not already try running video off an SSD if available. The AVE is very picky especially when it comes to drives going to sleep. That should be disabled in System Prefs. Some "eco" drives put themselves to sleep anyway regardless of that setting.

Interactivesound 10-16-2016 07:46 PM

Thanks for mentioning the drive. I'm going to swap in a new 7200 RPM drive into my machine and test that tomorrow.

I've got a mac pro 8-core 3.0 ghz with 32gb ram. Running the system off SSD, audio off 1 7200 RPM internal drive and video off another internal. Have an AJA Kona LHI card, but I have this problem with and without the card enabled.

Interactivesound 10-21-2016 02:15 PM

I swapped out my drive for a brand new 7200 RPM drive and its working much better. Its mostly resolved the playback errors I was having before!!! My old drive passed all diagnostic tests and worked fine with video in Logic and PT 10, and even editing with Media Composer! (I can't figure that one out...) Anyhow, I'm super happy now. Thanks Smurfyou for the drive suggestion!

The one video engine problem I do get, is that the it never works on first launch. I have to open a project, get video errors, close the project, re-enable the video engine, then re-open the project. After that, everything works smoothly. I must say, i'm pretty happy to have just 1 predictable problem now.