Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   PSP L'otary Leslie sim (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363516)

musicman691 01-23-2015 05:22 PM

PSP L'otary Leslie sim

PSP has released a Leslie simulator called L'otary; 14 day fully functional trial and currently on sale for $69US until the end of January. Afterwards it goes up to $99. Currently demoing it and it's pretty decent; certainly better than the emulation NI has in Vintage Organs. You get two models - a 122 and a 147. With enough controls to really come up with different variations. Like some plugins that model everything of a particular thing PSP even has a control to vary the audible level of the rotors themselves. You know when you're next to a real Leslie on fast and you hear the noise of the rotors? Yup - got that. You can go from totally silent to having your ear right next to the cabinet.

Rotor speed selectable via front panel of the gui as well as by sustain pedal or mod wheel. Cool thing with using the mod wheel is you can continuosly vary the speed from slow to fast and not just jump from one to the other. The bad thing is if you use the mod wheel for a synth that's on the same MIDI channel or the sustain pedal for say a piano it also changes the Leslie speed. What is needed is a way to remap the plugin to use other MIDI controllers. You can set the plugin to different MIDI channels but that doesn't do any good in a live situation. If you're recording you can set the plugin to a different MIDI channel and change speeds from the gui front panel. Not convenient; or you could do it in two passes but yet again - not convenient.

Seafoam_Green 01-23-2015 06:57 PM

Re: PSP L'otary Leslie sim

Id be inclined to demo this ..., except I'm really happy with my Melda Vintage Rotary . Has anyone compared the Psp to this ?

WernerF 01-24-2015 07:34 AM

I've found the Melda plugin to be kind of dull in sound. I have a real 122 and it sounds nothing like the plugin. Going to demo the PSP one in the next couple of days.

musicman691 01-24-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerF (Post 2224998)
I've found the Melda plugin to be kind of dull in sound. I have a real 122 and it sounds nothing like the plugin. Going to demo the PSP one in the next couple of days.

Just be aware of one thing I mentioned - when on fast speed you'll hear the whirring of the mechanism coming through your monitors. Most of the presets have the control turned up so it's very audible.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I know it's an initial release so there's bound to be issues like I found or someone else might find.

mesaone 01-24-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerF (Post 2224998)
I've found the Melda plugin to be kind of dull in sound.

Are you referring to MRotary, or MVintageRotary?

YYR123 01-24-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafoam green (Post 2224816)
Id be inclined to demo this ..., except I'm really happy with my Melda Vintage Rotary . Has anyone compared the Psp to this ?

I don't have a Leslie cabinet but I do like the Melda Vintage Rotary.

It sounds really good to me, and for $36 it was a steal

WernerF 02-03-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2225012)
Just be aware of one thing I mentioned - when on fast speed you'll hear the whirring of the mechanism coming through your monitors. Most of the presets have the control turned up so it's very audible.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I know it's an initial release so there's bound to be issues like I found or someone else might find.

Hey Jack, just tried the PSP plugin out. It is quite a bit more mid rangy than the Melda MVintage one but stiil, neither one sounds quite like my real 122. They're both usable of course, just not realistic re-creations of the real deal though.

musicman691 02-04-2015 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerF (Post 2228926)
Hey Jack, just tried the PSP plugin out. It is quite a bit more mid rangy than the Melda MVintage one but stiil, neither one sounds quite like my real 122. They're both usable of course, just not realistic re-creations of the real deal though.

Thanks for the feedback. One of the PSP developers said modeling a Leslie is one of the hardest things to model. Agreed about the midrangey part but playing with the eq took care of that for me to a certain extent. Not perfect but better. The 122 sounds more like a 142 and the 147 sounds more like a 145 (the two small cabinet models).

Then again I've run into a lot of variety in Leslie 122's and 147's back in the day. Even rebuilt and tricked-out some and it's amazing what can be done with it to bring out certain aspects of the tone.