Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Digidesign Hardware & Software (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does PT Free Work W/ OS-X ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=77464)

DaveYaffe 04-21-2002 10:13 AM

Does PT Free Work W/ OS-X ?

I can't seem to get ptfree to install into my Titanium G4 running OSX. Is it not compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Yaffe

Ruff 04-22-2002 12:39 AM

Re: Does PT Free Work W/ OS-X ?

ProTools free 5.0.1 is only compatible with Mac O.S. 8.6 and 9.x. It doesn't run on Mac O.S. X. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

gkays 04-25-2002 12:13 AM

I had the same problem with my new iBook you need to change your start up disk to system 9 just clicking on classic mode does not work - hope this helps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

cslloyd 05-24-2002 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruff:
ProTools free 5.0.1 is only compatible with Mac O.S. 8.6 and 9.x. It doesn't run on Mac O.S. X. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I booted up in 9.2 and still couldn't get PTFree to execute. I get DAE error 288. I have no clue how to make it work.

Charles Lloyd

Ruff 05-25-2002 03:06 AM

Maybe trash the DigiSetup file (in the preferneces folder) and restart your computer.
PTfree must run on Mac O.S. 9.2.

audiaudio 05-30-2002 02:30 AM

I'm running PT FREE with OS 9.2.2 on a Powerbook G3.

No problems.

seb16 06-03-2002 04:07 PM

nice to see kind replies to this question, gentle even, 2 months ago people were being
brutalised in this chat for bringing up the old OSX thang. I'm with ya though, got it running if I restart in 9.2, dont know enough to tell you why it does though, good luck, its all worth the weight,
swampbilly

BlackOctopus 10-01-2002 04:55 PM

Hi there,
I just received my CD version of PT Free today and have since found out that it wont install on my iMac. The iMac's default OS is OS X, but you can also boot from OS 9.2.2 (which i managed to do ok) ..just to confirm, is this correct? If i always boot from OS 9.2.2 i can install PT Free, correct?
Thanks

Deirdre B 10-01-2002 05:07 PM

Pro Tools will give you an error message of -288 or -201 if you don't have a proper audio input device.

Pro Tools free will accept audio thru certain USB interfaces. Also if you have an "older" Mac, PT Free is happy with the built-in audio port. The new G4's don't have built in audio, so you'll need to get your hands on some kind of USB audio interface.

PT Free will not accept/recognize FireWire DV audio.

Good luck! I have noise on my USB so I have brought my Beige G3 back into the studio until my techs and I can root out the schmutz.

yrz,
db

BlackOctopus 10-02-2002 01:36 PM

Hi. Thanks for the info. I have the new iMac G4 and Pro Tools FREE, with no sound card. What would you recommend?
Is there a cheap little USB audio card (like a cheaper version of MBox) that i could run PT Free on? I spent so much on the computer i don't really have the $$ to get the MBox right now..is there a cheaper alternative that PT Free..likes?
I was considering just pluging the audio output of my synth into the 1/8 inch input of the iMac..but you say this won't work with PT Free?
Thanks for any advice..