Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Anyone still using Loco/Titan? Need to do some re-assembly (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=215053)

mondoJML 01-31-2008 10:28 PM

Anyone still using Loco/Titan? Need to do some re-assembly

Just about to start a feature and the video editor used that nasty two track mixdown coming from the location mixer and I need to re-assemble the timeline using the 24/48 multichannel audio. The problem is that he started each new sound reel with a new timecode hour (reel 1 is 01:00:00:00, reel 2 is 02:00:00:00, reel 13 is 13:00:00:00, etc). I would like to try out Assemblerator but from what I understand, I wouldn't be able to spot any audio that goes past 12:00:00:00 to its original timestamp due to the 12 hour limitation in Pro Tools. I know that I can just have a different session start time to allow for this but Assemblerator will want to paste the audio way back down in the 1 hour mark. Is there a way around this?

I have seen it said here in the DUC that some of you use Final Cut to do a re-conform. How exactly does that work? I have been given audio-only EDL's and I also have the location audio with metadata intact. If I can re-link the audio in FCP, will the resulting OMF have the other channels available once I get it into Pro Tools?

Does anyone here still use Titan/Loco? Their websites haven't been updated in years and I assume the same can be said for the software. They are quite expensive and I don't want to make a wrong move.

Any advice/tips you guys can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks so much.

JanuS 02-01-2008 12:58 PM

Re: Anyone still using Loco/Titan? Need to do some re-assem

I suppose your picture editor didn't made a 13th reel. Your feature film wouldn't last 260 minutes, or does it?
Titan would do the trick though. Titan knows there's a 12hr limit in PT, and a 24hr limit in harddisk location recorders.

Matt Stutter 02-01-2008 03:57 PM

There are offset options in Assemblerator (to adjust for the ANNOYANCE of Pro Tools not working with a timeline over 12 hours...). So it's certainly possible to work around the limitations of Pro Tool's timeline.

It's a much cheaper option than Titan.

This is something I'm about to get stuck into as well - FCP assembling could be an option, but I'm still yet to see if the latest FCP can "actually" read the TC information from BWF files.

The Cargo Cult 02-10-2008 11:26 AM

and as we all know, FCP can only do embedded OMFs.
so relinking in FCP means a whole new set of audio files for every handover.
you'll never have a complete set of prod audio and the OMF files will never relate to the originals.

sigh.

Noiz2 04-21-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

I suppose your picture editor didn't made a 13th reel. Your feature film wouldn't last 260 minutes, or does it?
Titan would do the trick though. Titan knows there's a 12hr limit in PT, and a 24hr limit in harddisk location recorders.

Editorial reels are traditionally 1000' reels not A/B 2000' reels so 13 reels is actually around 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Titanic had 23 reels, till we switched to A/B reels.