Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dolby Atmos hardware requirement for Production/Mastering suite (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407109)

Mishabou 11-11-2019 06:10 AM

Dolby Atmos hardware requirement for Production/Mastering suite

I have some potential gigs requiring Dolby Atmos and have a few questions.

At the moment i'm mixing mostly in 5.1 and my set up is:

- PT Ultimate 2019.10 Native, nMP 12 cores 128 GB ram, all SSD drives
- DAD AX32 (same as MTRX) with 16 mic/line inputs, 8 line Outputs with Pro Monitor options for S6
- S6 M10-8-5 console

- My writing rig is nMP 12 cores, 128 GB ram, all SSD drives running Cubase, Ableton Live and Logic Pro X. Soundcard is Dante Rednet PCIe.

The whole studio is connected via Dante.

In order to add Dolby Atmos, i was going to buy another Mac Pro with rednet PCIe and the Atmos Mastering Suite but with the introduction of Avid Atmos Bridge (or whatever it's called) do i need the AMS rig ? I'm also unsure about the PT I/O requirement, it says one must send 128 channels from PT to HT RMU, does this mean i absolutely need 2 x HDX as it's the only way i can output 128 channels from PT.

Thanks

djdcypher 11-11-2019 09:19 AM

Re: Dolby Atmos hardware requirement for Production/Mastering suite

Hello Mishabou,

My name is Hugo and I'm based in Montreal too, I work for Annex Pro, the AVID/Dolby reseller for Canada. Why don't you send me a private message so we can speak about Dolby RMU and Dante configuration. But the short answer is that you'll still need an RMU (MADI or Dante) to print your mixes.

Thanks,

lucienpalmer 11-12-2019 08:55 AM

You need the Mastering Suite if you have the need to create the ADM BWAV for delivery. That would be for streaming, broadcast, or DVD.

paulo m 11-12-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucienpalmer (Post 2544294)
You need the Mastering Suite if you have the need to create the ADM BWAV for delivery. That would be for streaming, broadcast, or DVD.

You can do that with Production Suite. If you´re on MAC, that is.

lucienpalmer 11-12-2019 03:09 PM

That is incorrect. Only the Mastering Suite can create the ADM BWAV master files for delivery.

The Production Suite can only create .atmos files. You can finish a full mix in the Production Suite, but you would have to run it though the Mastering Suite (Mac or PC RMU) to create the required deliverables.

paulo m 11-12-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucienpalmer (Post 2544341)
That is incorrect. Only the Mastering Suite can create the ADM BWAV master files for delivery.

The Production Suite can only create .atmos files. You can finish a full mix in the Production Suite, but you would have to run it though the Mastering Suite (Mac or PC RMU) to create the required deliverables.

With all due respect, you´re not correct. I did generate ADM BWAV master files in versions prior to 3.3 and the latest version is no exception.

Some info from Dolby:

https://developerkb.dolby.com/suppor...-tools-2019-10

lucienpalmer 11-12-2019 04:03 PM

Wow! I was wrong. Sorry about that. It looks like they added ADM BWAV export to the Production Suite in v3. It couldn't do it in v2.

paulo m 11-12-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucienpalmer (Post 2544347)
Wow! I was wrong. Sorry about that. It looks like they added ADM BWAV export to the Production Suite in v3. It couldn't do it in v2.

:-) Things move fast, is difficult to keep pace of everything.

Mishabou 11-12-2019 04:17 PM

Alright so if i understand correctly...Unless one mixes/delivers for cinema.

There's no more needs for Atmos Mastering Suite and/or a dedicated HT RMU, correct ?

paulo m 11-12-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mishabou (Post 2544350)
Alright so if i understand correctly...Unless one mixes/delivers for cinema.

There's no more needs for Atmos Mastering Suite and/or a dedicated HT RMU, correct ?

Well, not really. For some tasks the RMU is still necessary, even for HT. Please have a look at the above link I´ve posted.