Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   FireWire to DVI video convertor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=162296)

Ray Fabi 03-04-2006 01:38 PM

FireWire to DVI video convertor

I was wondering if there was a FW to DVI box available to convert DV videos from my FW output from my Mac, running Pro Tools 7 on a g5 dual 2 gig, 2.5 gig of RAM... I'm about to purchase a new HD projector and would definately like to take advantage of digital DVI connectors to feed both my "new" projector and plasma (with DVI input) simultaneously. Of course, I might have to buy a DVI doubler to feed both the digital projector AND the plasma together, but those (I believe) are available. Any suggestions?

thanx

bad jitter 03-04-2006 01:43 PM

Re: FireWire to DVI video convertor

I am interested in this, too!

Ray Fabi 03-09-2006 06:14 AM

anybody...

Matt Stutter 03-09-2006 11:32 AM

So let me get this right - you're wanting to convert the FW videos you've got on your G5 to output on a DVI monitor/projector?

Meaning that at the moment you're outputing your DV codec movies (I think what you mean by FW movies) thru your firwire port to a firewire convertor to your telly?

If I get you correctly then yes - you just plug a DVI cable from your mac's 2nd DVI out to the projector - no convertor needed. You'll need to work out the latency/delay - but it'll be MUCH less than using the FW convertor you're using now. Oh, and set the resolution of the 2nd display to suit the video files and projectors resolution.

Was that what you wanted?

minister 03-09-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

If I get you correctly then yes - you just plug a DVI cable from your mac's 2nd DVI out to the projector - no convertor needed. You'll need to work out the latency/delay - but it'll be MUCH less than using the FW convertor you're using now. Oh, and set the resolution of the 2nd display to suit the video files and projectors resolution.

Was that what you wanted?

the dual g5's only have one DVI output. or at least that is all mine has.

i have never seen a FW --> DVI converter. so, i don't know how you are going to to do it. ... other than FW to composite to plasma in.

if anybody has one thses guys would : GEFEN

Matt Stutter 03-09-2006 05:49 PM

Mine has two DVI outputs - but mine is one of the latest G5 PCIe machines. Is the older one a VGA and DVI arrangement?

minister 03-09-2006 06:01 PM

hey matt, i have QUQAD too, and yes, it has 2 DVI's. but my DUAL 2.5 has one DVI and one ADC. since his was a 2.0, i thought it would also only have one DVI.

axiom 03-10-2006 08:44 AM

You can get an ADC to DVI adapter as well. I think Gefen makes one.