Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Delay Compensation value with UAD (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401268)

danyg 09-29-2018 01:18 AM

Delay Compensation value with UAD

trying to understand the Protools value (in the mixer)
-------------------------------------------------------------
from the UAD manual

Some UAD plug-ins introduce additional latency to achieve sonic design goals (for example, upsampling). When these UAD plug-ins are used in a DAW, additional latency is induced in the signal path. Therefore, they require more compensation to remain perfectly synchronized with other tracks.
Although the latency added by these UAD plug-ins is negligible (typically between 0 – 300 samples
------------------------------------------------------------
when I insert a simple 1176, PT shows a delay compensation of 1079. When using Studer Tape it's 3000 something. Why is UAD talking about 300.

Any way to optimise ?

LDS 09-29-2018 04:53 AM

Re: Delay Compensation value with UAD

If you are using a PCIe or Thunderbolt UAD device, then you can enable LiveTrack Mode. It will come at a bit of a hit to your CPU usage, but it disables extra UAD based buffering.

If you are using the plugins during mixing, I wouldn't stress the extra latency - provided that it is within Pro Tools maximum delay compensation, it will be handled accordingly automatically.

danyg 09-29-2018 01:47 PM

thank you. yes, it's PCIe.

Quote:

provided that it is within Pro Tools maximum delay compensation
that's the issue. When using many busses and a large template the accumulation is sometimes weird. I wonder why there's still a max ADC in Protools.

LDS 09-30-2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyg (Post 2501233)
thank you. yes, it's PCIe.

that's the issue. When using many busses and a large template the accumulation is sometimes weird. I wonder why there's still a max ADC in Protools.

It is for the same reason that the Apollo Console app stops users from using some specific plugins all together. The ADC limit is related to the abilities of HDX DSP. Using UAD plugins is a little bit of a worst-of-both-worlds in that sense - it will chew up delay compensation, or hit your CPU harder to avoid it. AAX-DSP and native plugins don't have the same drawbacks... mostly.

TNM 09-30-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyg (Post 2501190)
trying to understand the Protools value (in the mixer)
-------------------------------------------------------------
from the UAD manual

Some UAD plug-ins introduce additional latency to achieve sonic design goals (for example, upsampling). When these UAD plug-ins are used in a DAW, additional latency is induced in the signal path. Therefore, they require more compensation to remain perfectly synchronized with other tracks.
Although the latency added by these UAD plug-ins is negligible (typically between 0 – 300 samples
------------------------------------------------------------
when I insert a simple 1176, PT shows a delay compensation of 1079. When using Studer Tape it's 3000 something. Why is UAD talking about 300.

Any way to optimise ?

because Pro Tools has 1024 sample dual buffer playback engine, so the UAD effect is 1024 samples plus whatever else it is. It needs to go through that buffer, being DSP. Logic and Cubase with Asio Guard are the same. You'll only get those lower figures quoted when using a DAW that is running without a dual safety buffer system.

YYR123 09-30-2018 11:18 PM

Best case is to track with Native and then mix with UAD....while running the ADC number up (Buffer as well) as high as you can get it

YYR123 09-30-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyg (Post 2501233)
that's the issue. When using many busses and a large template the accumulation is sometimes weird.

PT used to act funny when there were multiple layers of Auxiliary tracks being fed to auxiliary tracks.

It made its ADC go haywire...(caveat is i don’t remember when it was) but since then I have been aware to make my routing as simple as possible and assume PT needs it this way. It will or can eliminate problems

danyg 10-01-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

while running the ADC number up
but that's no longer available in PT12. Isn't it?

Becharax 10-01-2018 01:00 AM

How do we adjust the ADC in Pro Tools to make up for the latency in the UAD Plugins ?

saspro 11-11-2018 05:47 AM

UAD plugs LiveTrack Mode with PT HDX system

H----
Similar question here....I just received a free UAD-2 QuadCore PCIe card and my first UA plugs with my purchase of the outboard UAD 4-ch tube preamp. I run an HDX system, so when live tracking I like to use some channel strip plugs. I have to use DSP plugs as Native plugs are unavailable when recording. But the only DSP plugs I own are the stock Digi stuff and some Metric Halo, which are serviceable but not special.
I was eager to see if somehow my new UA plugs could be used in UA’s LiveTrack Mode, in hopes they could replace my DSP plugs. But, there’s really no way, is there, as all these UA plugs are Native, and any Native plug is forced into bypass when in record mode?

MacPro 5,1 OS 10.12
PT 12.8.3 HDX 16ch A/D interface