Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why does EQ3 beat everything else in this respect? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334637)

emilano 02-15-2013 07:49 PM

Why does EQ3 beat everything else in this respect?

I've demo'ed equality, oxford, some waves EQs and a couple others, but no other EQ can pull out as open a sound from the 2-8k range of dialog like EQ3. There's something about it. From a pillowy sounding lav or off mic or whatever... Somehow EQ3 pulls out an... openness... a clarity. for lack of another word. Its not always pretty sounding, like if the mic itself isnt pretty sounding, its not going to make it pretty, just harsh. Its easy to go for too much of it. But its unique.

I really wanted to put money down. But doing the side by side tests made me realize that I already had an amazing tool. I was shocked. But no other EQ comes close. I think what came the closest was waves Ren EQ. Ugh.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone know an EQ that also does this well?

Kris75 02-15-2013 07:59 PM

Re: Why does EQ3 beat everything else in this respect?

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilano (Post 2007724)
I've demo'ed equality, oxford, some waves EQs and a couple others, but no other EQ can pull out as open a sound from the 2-8k range of dialog like EQ3. There's something about it. From a pillowy sounding lav or off mic or whatever... Somehow EQ3 pulls out an... openness... a clarity. for lack of another word. Its not always pretty sounding, like if the mic itself isnt pretty sounding, its not going to make it pretty, just harsh. Its easy to go for too much of it. But its unique.

I really wanted to put money down. But doing the side by side tests made me realize that I already had an amazing tool. I was shocked. But no other EQ comes close. I think what came the closest was waves Ren EQ. Ugh.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone know an EQ that also does this well?

The EQIII is my secret weapon for both music mixes and Dx mixes. I can't work without it!

Henchman 02-15-2013 08:03 PM

Not my experience.

dr sound 02-15-2013 08:50 PM

"Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone know an EQ that also does this well?"

Equality beats it. Sorry, but it's not even close. I use it every day
and it works wonders on dialog. Nothing is even in the same league.

Henchman 02-15-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr sound (Post 2007732)
"Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone know an EQ that also does this well?

Equality beats it. Sorry, but it's not even close. I use it every day
and it works wonders on dialog. Nothing is even in the same league.

Yep. Bang on Marti.

Pirate Post 02-15-2013 09:53 PM

If the Digi works for ya cool. From my experience EQuality is one of those tools that shows off what you can do with digital.

EQ3 7 whatever...Shreds my ears.

lexaudio 02-15-2013 10:16 PM

Don't like eq 3 either. Equality as well. Far smoother

mgoorevich 02-15-2013 10:49 PM

EQ3 is my default dialog correcting EQ.
NF575 is my go to Notch EQ.
Have MDW EQ, Sonnox, McDSP, Brainworx. They all have very nice graphic interface.;)
Equality is nice as well and has very convenient UI. It's also blue - means serious.:D

thermisonic 02-16-2013 12:44 AM

Going back to EQ3 from equality is like travelling back in time. Its due an overhaul in terms of sound and user interface. Equality is the best money I've ever spent on a plug in. EQ3 is harsh to my ears by comparison.

Rob Walker AMPS

groundcontrol 02-16-2013 01:17 AM

Why does EQ3 beat everything else in this respect?

What they said.