Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   PT 9 64 bit? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=285425)

2hands 11-04-2010 06:31 PM

PT 9 64 bit?

Has anyone seen the spec's? Surely they're hitting 64bit!?!?!
:confused:

guitardom 11-04-2010 07:00 PM

Re: PT 9 64 bit?

64 bit compatible, not true 64 bit operation. so lose out mainly on ram usage, but still gain some, but very minimal.

revert979 11-04-2010 08:12 PM

I'm kind of with 2hands. This seems like an obvious no brainer here. The ceiling you hit at 1.8 - 1.9 GB of RAM usage with 32-bit apps is a huge pitfal with ProTools, and I hit it pretty frequently with my setup. And that's with an aging Q6600 quad core. With the hardware being what it is today, and the cheapness of RAM, it's a shame my software can't take advantage of that.

I've been waiting for a true 64-bit ProTools for a few years now. I can't believe they STILL haven't gotten their act together on this one. I love ProTools, but without 64-bit, it's definitely not "the release I've been waiting for".

Craig F 11-04-2010 08:16 PM

someone will always want more than what is offered

revert979 11-04-2010 08:50 PM

I guess. I hate to seem like a whiner. I just want ProTools to get with where the industry is moving, and has been moving for a number of years. Besides, when you advertise that your software can handle 96 audio tracks that's a bit misleading, because realistically, what's going to come first? Are you going to hit the 96 audio track ceiling, or are you going to run into RAM limitations? Like I said, I have to worry about RAM limitations daily, and I've never gotten to the 48 track limit, forget about running 96 tracks.

guitardom 11-04-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revert979 (Post 1691088)
I guess. I hate to seem like a whiner. I just want ProTools to get with where the industry is moving, and has been moving for a number of years. Besides, when you advertise that your software can handle 96 audio tracks that's a bit misleading, because realistically, what's going to come first? Are you going to hit the 96 audio track ceiling, or are you going to run into RAM limitations? Like I said, I have to worry about RAM limitations daily, and I've never gotten to the 48 track limit, forget about running 96 tracks.

i am sure this will take a massive rewrite. a lot more than adc and full asio/core audio support took. they will have to go this way, but this release here is miles ahead of where they were 6 months a go.

you should be able to access a lot more ram than that. with the 3gb switch which is nothing now in 8. releases, you should be getting 2.7 gb of ram usage. now at least w w7 64, the os gets it own ram allocation, other apps like reason will not take away from pro tools' ram allocation. you can gain quite a bit. not perfect by any means, but is an improvement.

also your track count and ram usage are different system functions. the track count is reliant on disk speed, performance, and cpu, not ram.

Onswoll 11-05-2010 12:01 AM

Sure wish we could have more ram.....we pay top dollar for all the pro tools hardware and software, yet all of the other DAWS are 64-bit.

What a joke.
Its all what makes them the most money.
But I have more and more friends running Logic and CuBase because ProTools wont keep up with technology.

Problem is, they know that if they give us more ram, there will be no need to get the HD DSP cards. Those PCI cards are 10-years old and outdated and still require RAM. Thats why you can buy them used on eBay for $1,000, cause the technology is so old.. .:confused:

jmlm 11-05-2010 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revert979 (Post 1691088)

+1
As a oo3 Factory, I feel as sacrificed.
I don't need so many tracks.
I can't use my audio card with an other software.
So After Pro Tools 9 software standalone, it would be nice to have an Ipad, Iphone version...

cstrouss 11-05-2010 02:14 AM

I'm not sure I agree that rewriting for 64 bit native code is such a big deal... It seems like version 9 was a bit rewrite, I wouldn't be surprised if full 64 bit is forthcoming.

lennieh 11-05-2010 03:57 AM

the hardware requirements says 2GB minimum, 4GB or more recommended...

Interesting to get a techie view from Digi on how they would use more than 4Gb memory with 32-bit software??