Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Pro Tools will not Install - How do You Download Windows XP Updates from Avid (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=332809)

Dave12 01-03-2013 10:18 AM

Pro Tools will not Install - How do You Download Windows XP Updates from Avid

I actually have Pro Tools 8 I believe. I have Windows XP, and am getting error messages when trying to install the Pro Tools 8. I was told I need to download some Win XP updates from the Avid webiste, but I cannot see where they would be located after going to the site. Thank you.

Also...Anyone know how to tell which Pro Tools Version you have BEFORE you have installed it. The install disc itself only has this number, 'Version 061510', it does not say if it is Pro Toolls 8, 9 or 10. I bought the M-Audio box and this software came with it, in about January 2012.

Thank you!
Dave

TOM@METRO 01-03-2013 10:43 AM

Re: Pro Tools will not Install - How do You Download Windows XP Updates from Avid

The exact error message please.

Are your Windows updates up to date?

feliponk 01-03-2013 12:07 PM

Re: Pro Tools will not Install - How do You Download Windows XP Updates from Avid

Hi: on the Windows side, usually XP SP3 and all the hotfixes for ProTools 8.0.5.

Review this...
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...n&DocType=1078

Cheers!

albee1952 01-03-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feliponk (Post 1994370)
Hi: on the Windows side, usually XP SP3 and all the hotfixes for ProTools 8.0.5.

Review this...
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...n&DocType=1078

Cheers!

and SP3 would be downloaded from Microsoft(not Avid).

sunburst79 01-03-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave12 (Post 1994337)
I actually have Pro Tools 8 I believe. I have Windows XP, and am getting error messages when trying to install the Pro Tools 8. I was told I need to download some Win XP updates from the Avid webiste, but I cannot see where they would be located after going to the site. Thank you.

Also...Anyone know how to tell which Pro Tools Version you have BEFORE you have installed it. The install disc itself only has this number, 'Version 061510', it does not say if it is Pro Toolls 8, 9 or 10. I bought the M-Audio box and this software came with it, in about January 2012.

Thank you!
Dave

My installer disks clearly indicate which version of Pro Tools they are. Not sure why yours would be any different. Earlier versions from 7.0 to 8.0 were color coded. Maroon for MAudio, Brownish black for PTLE and blue for PTHD. However the disks were still clearly marked. PT9 and and newer had purple AVID packaging. Also the installers clearly state which version of PT its installing. So there really shouldn't be any confusion as to which version your installing. If you purchased the unit used and the software came on home burned DVDs than it may not say what version it is. Regardless the actual installer should state its PT version when you run it. The Version 061510 ID isn't ringing a bell.

Make sure your machine is up to date at Microsoft Update. You want to check for the optional MS updates also since you might be behind on a framework like .NET. Any MS components PT needs it should install if they are missing. An example here would be PTLE 8.0 installing a couple of Visual Studio patches while installing Pro Tools. Knowing the exact error would help immensely.

Note: I googled "061510" and came with a Post for Pro Tools SE over at the new MAudio Forum. From the post its not clear whether 061510 is referring to the version number or part number on the interface. I'm assuming its printed on the disk?

The Weed 01-03-2013 08:57 PM

If he bought an M-Audio box, then he should have/needs M-Powered, not Pro Tools LE.

Cheers,

sunburst79 01-03-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 1994495)
If he bought an M-Audio box, then he should have/needs M-Powered, not Pro Tools LE.

Cheers,

True but the installer would still install the Visual Studio 2005 components as needed. These used to show up in the add and remove programs menu as MS 2005 redistributable components. I forget the exact verbage. My point being if windows is up to date the installer should install any needed components.

Earlier versions would some times throw a error message about missing windows components that was referencing the old Windows Media Encoder program. For whatever reason it would do this on a second install or repair install rarely the original install.

It's also very possible he saying Windows Updates when he means Pro Tools updates.