Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   MH ChannelStrip 3 Insert Tab in PT 11 is Sometimes Purple? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=347780)

RokVox 12-03-2013 03:03 PM

MH ChannelStrip 3 Insert Tab in PT 11 is Sometimes Purple?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi AVID,

I contacted Metric Halo in regards to the ChannelStrip 3 Insert Tab in PT 11 is sometimes being "Purple" (See image below).

They replied and told me to contact AVID as well.

Here's the support message I sent them:

I'm using the latest version of MH ChannelStrip 3 with the latest version of PT 11 and I noticed when switching through the MH ChannelStrip 3 Factory Presets that the insert tab on the Pro Tools track sometimes turns purple (I have a screen shot if you need it).

What does this mean?

MacBook Pro 15-inch with Retina display (Late 2013), 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB SDRAM, 512GB SSD, Mavericks (10.9), Pro Tools 11 (11.0.3).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Metric Halo's response:

Thanks for your email. We have been able to reproduce this in Pro Tools 11 and it seems to be some kind of bug in PT 11. We aren't sure whether there is any audio-related consequence to this but we recommend that you report it to Avid. The purple insert is part of a new feature that allows a subclass of plugin parameters (such as compressors) to be grouped and controlled. In other words, we report code to Pro Tools that ChannelStrip 3 has a compressor, and they can use that information to do things like group toggle bypass of compressors within plugins. It may be that they don't have that functionality fully fleshed out or documented just yet, but we can keep an eye on it with you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm not sure what is happening or if I missed something new in the documentation for PT 11.

Thanks!
~Iz

ChazC 12-04-2013 12:08 AM

Re: MH ChannelStrip 3 Insert Tab in PT 11 is Sometimes Purple?

I don't think it's a bug - it's just a visual indicator that part of the plug-in is inactive. If you activate all the sections, the tab goes back to standard grey.

IIRC, the Avid Channel Strip does the same.

RokVox 12-04-2013 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info Chaz!

Metric Halo is watching this Thread.
Here is their email reply to what you had written:

"Okay, interesting. That helps begin to explain it I guess. The compressor and EQ enables need to be on in our case for the purple to turn off."

Mitchel 12-04-2013 02:39 PM

I also have the MHalo purple insert!

The colour is odd.......but not the sound thankfully ;)

mesaone 12-05-2013 04:00 PM

the MHCS3 compressor actually does sound odd to me.. It behaves strangely, and occasionally glitches out on me.

TOM@METRO 12-05-2013 05:42 PM

I haven't had any problems with any of the Metric Halo offerings.

YYR123 12-05-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChazC (Post 2108019)
I don't think it's a bug - it's just a visual indicator that part of the plug-in is inactive. If you activate all the sections, the tab goes back to standard grey.

IIRC, the Avid Channel Strip does the same.

!!!! I remember asking this same question sometime ago . Thank you Chaz

mesaone 12-06-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2108661)
I haven't had any problems with any of the Metric Halo offerings.

Tom, have you seen my thread here?

Long story short, the internal sidechain is boosted in 3 of the four modes, sometimes applying gain reduction regardless of the threshold. While this is not a problem, I don't know why it behaves this way (the manual doesn't say). The glitch I was referring to is occasional distortion caused by the compressor (on signals that are nowhere near clipping, and nowhere near overdriving the comp) that goes away when the plug-in is removed and re-inserted.