Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404873)

Ray Lyon 05-23-2019 09:04 PM

PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Would PT 2019.5 better use system resources (plug-ins) more efficiently in Sierra (10.12.6) or High Sierra (10.13.6)?

mrguitarguy 05-23-2019 09:33 PM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
I just did a fresh install moving from Sierra to High Sierra and I can’t believe how well 2019.5 is running. I was running full mix sessions without any problems at a 64 buffer. I had to keep checking to make sure it didn’t change because I couldn’t believe it. I opened a bunch on huge mix sessions from the past just to see what would happen and everything ran smooth. It was like I was on an old TDM system. I hope writing this doesn’t jinx anything. System specs are in my signature. I would definitely go with High Sierra.

685 05-23-2019 10:58 PM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
I did an upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave on my macbookpro and didn't notice an improvement in cpu usage with my previous sessions. I do love the new features of 2019.5 though. Inserting new plugins or creating new tracks without pausing is nice. I also think that Mojave itself runs a little smoother. Also, my macpro is still on High Sierra and I didn't notice any improvement in cpu usage with 2019.5

Ray Lyon 05-25-2019 08:20 AM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Thanks for your responses... can anyone else contribute to this?



I don't want to upgrade OS if I don't have to. I've already noticed a huge difference as to how much more efficient 2019.5 is on Sierra than 2018.12. Not much difference in spread over CPU threads in the CPU meter but sessions that required 512 buffer (because of multiple VI's) now work super smooth at 256 and 256 at 128.


This is a significant upgrade for PT HDX in terms of native plug in efficiency on MacPro 5,1 2010 era cheese graters. Also, plug-in insertions on the fly, snap to clip insertion... a great upgrade for someone like myself... bravo Avid!

musicman691 05-25-2019 11:24 AM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lyon (Post 2527158)
Thanks for your responses... can anyone else contribute to this?



I don't want to upgrade OS if I don't have to. I've already noticed a huge difference as to how much more efficient 2019.5 is on Sierra than 2018.12. Not much difference in spread over CPU threads in the CPU meter but sessions that required 512 buffer (because of multiple VI's) now work super smooth at 256 and 256 at 128.


This is a significant upgrade for PT HDX in terms of native plug in efficiency on MacPro 5,1 2010 era cheese graters. Also, plug-in insertions on the fly, snap to clip insertion... a great upgrade for someone like myself... bravo Avid!

Something to keep in mind and to ask about is how did people do their OSX upgrades? Did they do it the 'Apple Way' and install over the top of whatever OSX they had? Or did they do a clean install of not only OSX but also PT and all plugins? Often the latter clean install of the existing OSX along with reinstalling everything else will give performance boosts and clean out gremlins Installing over the top (aka 'in situ') of oSX can and will lead to all kinds of weirdness and performance issues.

Darryl Ramm 05-25-2019 11:36 AM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lyon (Post 2527158)
Thanks for your responses... can anyone else contribute to this?



I don't want to upgrade OS if I don't have to. I've already noticed a huge difference as to how much more efficient 2019.5 is on Sierra than 2018.12. Not much difference in spread over CPU threads in the CPU meter but sessions that required 512 buffer (because of multiple VI's) now work super smooth at 256 and 256 at 128.


This is a significant upgrade for PT HDX in terms of native plug in efficiency on MacPro 5,1 2010 era cheese graters. Also, plug-in insertions on the fly, snap to clip insertion... a great upgrade for someone like myself... bravo Avid!

If you dont want to upgrade, don't.

If there was a huge issue here you would have heard abut it by now or seen other posts in DUC about it, folks here are not shy about mentioning issues.

I suspect people are making their OS decision based on lots of other reasons.

JFreak 05-25-2019 11:56 AM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrguitarguy (Post 2526998)
It was like I was on an old TDM system. I hope writing this doesnít jinx anything.

Don't worry, those were my exact same first impression

Southsidemusic 05-25-2019 11:58 AM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lyon (Post 2527158)
Thanks ...

Not much difference in spread over CPU threads in the CPU meter but sessions that required 512 buffer (because of multiple VI's) now work super smooth at 256 and 256 at 128.

I would stop looking at the CPU meters and core distribution as those are not very accurate on PT and furthermore as long as you donít have any issues why spend time worrying about the metering at all. I donít think I looked at them twice in 10 years since it doesnít accurately portray whats happening inside the code and hardware.

Regarding updating from Sierra or High Sierra I would stay put for now as there are a few peolle with new issues on the older Mac Pro machines like the 4.1 and 5.1 so if Sierra works good for your needs then I say stay there for now. We have one of our trashcans 6.1 12 core Mac Pro still on Sierra 10.12.6 and it runs flawlessly day and night here with HDX2 system.

JFreak 05-25-2019 12:01 PM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2527177)
I would stop looking at the CPU meters and core distribution as those are not very accurate on PT and furthermore as long as you donít have any issues why spend time worrying about the metering at all. I donít think I looked at them twice in 10 years since it doesnít accurately portray whats happening inside the code and hardware.

Not accurate, true -- but I keep that window open to see how fast the meter is moving.. if it moves slow everything is alright but if it moves like Zlatan you should be worried

Southsidemusic 05-25-2019 12:20 PM

Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2527180)
Not accurate, true -- but I keep that window open to see how fast the meter is moving.. if it moves slow everything is alright but if it moves like Zlatan you should be worried

LOL True True :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com