Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Protools 12 HD subscription and compatibility (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=367442)

Naturaledge 04-29-2015 12:54 AM

Protools 12 HD subscription and compatibility

Hi ,

I have been running OS7.3 and PT10 with CPTK on a MacBook Pro with an Mbox pro 3.

It's been solid and a real workhorse for a few years.

I have been forced to upgrade my OS to Yosemite due to needing some other software that needs it to run.

I now have a duel install of 10 and 11 on my system

With 10 I use CPTK but it has the "invisible menus" bug
With 11 I have lost the functionality of the CPTK extras ( not to mention a ton of plug-ins!)

What are my options for either using 11 or 12 but having the functionality of the CPTK stuff ( surround mixing, write automation to all etc etc) .

I'm happy to have a subscription or pay a reasonable upgrade fee but don't want to buy new hardware if it can be avoided.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Ian

nst7 04-29-2015 07:23 AM

Re: Protools 12 HD subscription and compatibility

Unfortunately, in PT11 and onward, the only way to get those features is to have the HD software.

However, there is a specific upgrade for owners of PT10 or 9 with the CPTK to get the HD software by itself without buying an HD hardware system. It's $599. The downside is that you are locked into paying that higher price every year to keep current (vs. the $199 for non-HD Protools). Note that if you don't upgrade every year, your license keeps working, but becomes non-upgradeable.

Roulette Records 05-01-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2257882)
Note that if you don't upgrade every year, your license keeps working, but becomes non-upgradeable.

But there is no way it would never be upgradable again right ? You just Upgrade to PT13, or PT15 or whatever for a fee ?

nst7 05-02-2015 07:01 AM

As of now, it would not be upgradeable if you don't renew it every year.

Avid still has yet to give more details about HD users, but that's how it is for non-HD users, according to the FAQ. If a non-HD user doesn't renew their support plan, their license stays at whatever they had when it ended. If a few years later they want to upgrade (for example, to Protools 13), they would at that time need to buy the full version of Protools all over again (or get it as part of a hardware purchase, such as Mbox Pro or Eleven Rack).

As to how that applies to HD users, Avid needs to clarify. Obviously people who spent thousands on a hardware system should not be expected to buy a new HD hardware system simply because they did not renew the support plan every year. That is why we need clarification from Avid, which they keep saying will be coming soon.

For those who upgraded from CPTK to just the HD software by itself, they need to clarify that as well.

Roulette Records 05-02-2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2258709)
As of now, it would not be upgradeable if you don't renew it every year.

Avid still has yet to give more details about HD users, but that's how it is for non-HD users, according to the FAQ. If a non-HD user doesn't renew their support plan, their license stays at whatever they had when it ended. If a few years later they want to upgrade (for example, to Protools 13), they would at that time need to buy the full version of Protools all over again (or get it as part of a hardware purchase, such as Mbox Pro or Eleven Rack).

As to how that applies to HD users, Avid needs to clarify. Obviously people who spent thousands on a hardware system should not be expected to buy a new HD hardware system simply because they did not renew the support plan every year. That is why we need clarification from Avid, which they keep saying will be coming soon.

For those who upgraded from CPTK to just the HD software by itself, they need to clarify that as well.

That is absolutely ridiculous. This is robbery. And absurd. If they do not change that policy fast, Avid will lose even more stock on the market.

Bottom line, if I purchased something rock solid built with no bugs, built that works, built so that the customer was not expected to be the "quality control", (like a car) then yes fine... like a car, I would not mind having to buy a new one if I didn't "upgrade" or whatever.

BUT, PT is made nothing like it used to be. Every release is worse and worse riddled with ridiculous bugs of common procedural stuff ! I should not have to buy into a support plan to get those fixed with updates.

This is my problem. HD users or not, no one should have to keep rebuying something they bought unless the rebuy buys you something similar to the "new car" analogy. But in Avids case, I will spend annual fees (which are ridiculously high compared to how many annual updates there are and what they consist of, again we should not be joyed that we pay for fixes that shouldn't be there) just so 3-4 years down the road I can upgrade ???????? Ridiculous. Cause I do not like upgrading all the time. Maybe 2-4 years or so.

If they want to do this, then buying it outright should cost much less. Or the support plan should cost way way way less for HD users. HD users should be treated like royalty, and actually get a free 4 year support plan with every purchase or something of the likes.

Obviously they are trying to come up with ideas to boost their crash in value from the heyday years of PT.

Oddly, they didn't stop to look at WHY the heyday years were like that, and what caused them to stop. Funny, cause it was moves like this that caused it. The issue is, a group of investors bought Avid and are trying to change it around, and investors honestly don't know sh&t ever. Thats one thing I've noticed in life.

Well, they know how to lose their money they inherited from their fathers that did it right. Thats about it.

Barry Johns 05-03-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roulette Records (Post 2258836)
That is absolutely ridiculous. This is robbery. And absurd. If they do not change that policy fast, Avid will lose even more stock on the market.

Bottom line, if I purchased something rock solid built with no bugs, built that works, built so that the customer was not expected to be the "quality control", (like a car) then yes fine... like a car, I would not mind having to buy a new one if I didn't "upgrade" or whatever.

BUT, PT is made nothing like it used to be. Every release is worse and worse riddled with ridiculous bugs of common procedural stuff ! I should not have to buy into a support plan to get those fixed with updates.

This is my problem. HD users or not, no one should have to keep rebuying something they bought unless the rebuy buys you something similar to the "new car" analogy. But in Avids case, I will spend annual fees (which are ridiculously high compared to how many annual updates there are and what they consist of, again we should not be joyed that we pay for fixes that shouldn't be there) just so 3-4 years down the road I can upgrade ???????? Ridiculous. Cause I do not like upgrading all the time. Maybe 2-4 years or so.

If they want to do this, then buying it outright should cost much less. Or the support plan should cost way way way less for HD users. HD users should be treated like royalty, and actually get a free 4 year support plan with every purchase or something of the likes.

Obviously they are trying to come up with ideas to boost their crash in value from the heyday years of PT.

Oddly, they didn't stop to look at WHY the heyday years were like that, and what caused them to stop. Funny, cause it was moves like this that caused it. The issue is, a group of investors bought Avid and are trying to change it around, and investors honestly don't know sh&t ever. Thats one thing I've noticed in life.

Well, they know how to lose their money they inherited from their fathers that did it right. Thats about it.

Here's the deal, Avid is highly under estimating it user base, as there are so many people out there today, that have been long time users of ProTools HD, that have no idea about this new program. The outcry, is going to be massive, once everybody connects the dots, not those of us like myself, who frequent the online forums.