Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   The Drum Room (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   TD-20 cross stick/snare velocity (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387058)

Acustiman 12-08-2016 01:37 PM

TD-20 cross stick/snare velocity

Hi all,

Hoping to glean a answer from anyone using the Td-20 as a trigger, in this case to Slate drums...problem is I've got a cross-stick intro-and throughout the song mixed with a snare hit and the stick is too LOUD!...is there a way to lower the velocity of JUST the cross-stick all AT ONCE...& not the snare?...Ive tried everything...

-thx

albee1952 12-08-2016 07:40 PM

Re: TD-20 cross stick/snare velocity

Assuming the cross-stick shows as its own midi note value, open the Velocity lane. Click on the tiny keyboard(left side of the midi/instrument track) on the note that triggers the cross-stick. Doing that will highlight the velocity value(the tiny diamonds) for all the cross-stick hits. Drag any one of the little diamonds down and all will follow.

Alternately, open the Slate plugin mix window and adjust the cross-stick volume:o

Acustiman 12-09-2016 09:26 AM

Albee thanks man! Problem is SSD4 doesn't include a cross stick channel, and if your compressing snare with verb etc. the cross stick gets the same treatment!

I got the velocity lower (thanks) Are you still using the TD's and have the same problem?

-thx

albee1952 12-09-2016 09:58 AM

I haven't used E-drums in a while. What about lowering the sensitivity on the rim trigger? One option you might not have considered; use a real snare drum:rolleyes: I got great results going hybrid with real snare, hat and sometimes all real cymbals(the overhead mics just added some "air" to the overall kit sound). You could also put up a mic and get one of those cross-stick blocks:o

One other option, if you print drums to audio(which I always did), I would add a blank audio track below the snare track, separate the cross-stick audio and drag it to its own track. That also allows for different EQ and reverb:-)

Acustiman 12-09-2016 10:30 AM

Great, yeah I'll work on the trigger first...living arrangements prohibits live drums, but the cross stick block could work! ;) Thanks !

Emcha_audio 12-13-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acustiman (Post 2400106)
Albee thanks man! Problem is SSD4 doesn't include a cross stick channel, and if your compressing snare with verb etc. the cross stick gets the same treatment!

I got the velocity lower (thanks) Are you still using the TD's and have the same problem?

-thx

This is typical in most software as it represent REAL life action. Unless you're a madman ( I was once) and went through the whole take to manually mute (on a analogue desk to the studer 2 inch track) the send to a reverb so that the cross stick wouldn't get that treatment, then automatically it would get the treatment because it's the same mic that actually pics up the snare, rimshot and cross sticks.

albee1952 12-14-2016 08:12 AM

FWIW, I usually replace the cross stick sound. I bus and record the drums sounds as audio and then move the cross stick hits to a separate track and use Drumagog to play my own samples:o