Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mbox 2 mini / iMac / Mountain Lion (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=327335)

bbquattro 08-29-2012 02:42 AM

Mbox 2 mini / iMac / Mountain Lion

Hi there everyone,

5 years ago I bought the Mbox2 Mini with 7.3 LE software. I used it on my Windows XP for PC with no problems.

Recently I had to change to a Mac computer, an Imac with 10.8 OS X Mountain Lion on it.

I thought, I'd buy the Parallels Desktop utility (which allows the Mac to function as Windows XP as well) and run the Protools software from there, but that has proved to be impossible. So I thought since I'm a new Mac user, maybe I'll install the whole thing in Mac and see how it goes.

I installed the software on Mac, and installation was totally succesful, but when I try to run the software, there comes a point where it says hardware could not be found on my computer, so it doesn't recognise the Mbox. I have tried to download all new drivers but still nothing, light won't go on.

Here's the first question:
The Mbox 2 Mini I bought came with a CD for both XP / Mac OSX 10.4 installation. Would it be possible that the actual Mbox (the hardware I mean) only works for PC and not for Mac? I don't remember having to make that choice when I bought it, but maybe you will know if certain Mbox's are to use in PC or Mac only.

Reading the various threads about it, I have seen there's issues with the 10.8 OS I have running on the Imac, but again, I downloaded the drivers that should fix this and no luck.

Hopefully you can help! Thanks everyone for your time and patience.

Jonathan (Barcelona)

JazzyJ 08-30-2012 11:04 AM

Re: Mbox 2 mini / Imac / Mountain Lion

You'll need Pro Tools 10 to run 'officially' on OSX 10.8

Saying that, apparently PT8.0.5 will work in some circumstances.

Try these drivers to get it recognised:

http://secure.digidesign.com/service...&localeCode=en

You'll be able to get the mbox working with those drivers - however, you'll need an updated version of pro tools if you want to use that as a DAW.

bbquattro 08-31-2012 10:00 AM

First of all thank you for your time and answer!

I think I tried those drivers before, but I always got a message saying the files were dangerous and I had to "eject the image from the disk" (Sorry, I'm new to this mac world!)

I will try again tonight, but in the meantime, a couple questions:

I have always used Protools 7.3 (which is the version I got when I bought the Mbox). Is there any chance to have that software working on my new Imac and NOT have to upgrade to newer versions? Not even after the company finally makes a driver for OSX 10.8?

I actually installed the software with absolutely no problems, it's just when it's about open the protools window I get a message saying "Unable to locate hardware" (meaning mbox), so I have high hopes of being able to work on my beloved 7.3 as soon as I can get the mbox recognised by the computer...

Thanks again! Good to know one is not alone!

Jonathan
Suzy & Los Quattro

JazzyJ 08-31-2012 02:31 PM

PT 7.3 or 7.4 in OSX 10.8 = No Chance.

End of Story.

Put OSX 10.4 or 10.5 and yes.

Or Install a copy of Windows on a separate partition / drive and you'll be OK - but not with a new 10.8 OSX.

Otherwise the minimum you'll need is the UNSUPPORTED PT LE 8.0.5.

Or

it's buy the iLok protected PT9 or PT10

Check the forum for people getting PT8.0.5 working in Lion and (Mountain Lion I think) even though it's unsupported.

bbquattro 09-01-2012 04:16 AM

Ok, I think I got it this time!

I am now going back to my original idea, which is use the mbox and protools 7.3 on XP via Parallels Desktop (which allows you to run XP inside your Imac)

So far I get the mbox recognised on the XP but at the final stages of installation it reads (Protools 7.3 is configuring your new software installation), the installation stalls and I don't have Internet Explorer 8 installed in here...

Has anyone managed to run Pro Tools with an Mbox 2 mini on a mac computer via Parallels Desktop?

JazzyJ 09-01-2012 07:29 AM

Parallels is usually a risk which is specifically why I said to run Windoes from a separate drive / partition and NOT via Parallels.

Don't know what bootcamp is like either.......

I suggest getting a copy of PT8, second hand it will be cheap, then using the free upgrade installer to 8.0.5.

This is likely to work in OSX10.8 - if you're lucky.

Read this:

Quote:

Hi all,
I've just got Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 running successfully on Mountain Lion!
I'm running a late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 2.66, but I did a clean install of Mountain Lion on a freshly formatted external 500GB USB Hard Drive to test compatibility with my apps before deciding if I would risk the full upgrade on the laptop.
I installed Pro Tools LE 8.0 first which seemed successful, but Mountain Lion wasn't recognizing the PT hardware (currently an MBox2 Micro but I have an MBox2 as well) so I updated the MBox drivers (labelled drivers for Pro Tools 9) from the didgidesign website.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en379411
This kicked the MBox Micro into life, but Pro Tools LE 8 was quitting at the end of start up.
I then updated to 8.0.5 and its working fine. I've got 5 tracks of audio running with compression, eq and fx. I haven't yet tried recording into pro tools with the Mbox2, but this it is working!!!
I don't know if an upgrade on to of an existing version of OSX would yield the same results, but I'm very surprised and happy its working for me. I hope you guys all have the same success.
I'm so happy I'm using emoticons.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325925&page=3

So like I said, if you go for PT8 then the free 8.0.5 update you'll be ok.

PT9 and PT10 are iLok protected and don't come with an interface. You just buy the software. The main bonus is that you get ADC (automatic delay compensation) the downside is that it's expensive.

Get a PT 8 installer and you'll be up and running.

lostinlight 12-08-2012 01:10 PM

Hey all

First of all I want to say thanks for the information earlier on in this thread it really helped me out, I also have a Mountain lion 10.8.2 OSX and only a Mbox 2 and it worked for me to get Pro tools 8.0.5 and the Pro tools 9 driver for my Mbox 2 to work with it.

But it only worked the first time around, when I open up Pro Tools now it stops at Setting up Midi and it wont go any further it is really annoying cant find anything on how to fix this.

thanks in advance.

lostinlight 12-09-2012 03:35 PM

Hey just gonna follow up on my last thread...

It seems to be working ok now, It just took a really long time to load up Pro Tools when it was stuck on Setting up MIDI, but now it seems fine when I load Pro tools, But i don't think the MIDI inputs on my Mbox 2 is working now, was thinking of installing the MIDI I/O driver v.9. But I am afraid it will wreck my Pro Tools 8.0.5 I have.

Please let me know guys.

Thanks

guspotenza 01-10-2013 06:58 AM

Hi there!

First of all, it's known that the compatibility grid provided from Avid doesn't mean it won't work, it just mean that they haven't tested nor supported or provided updates to run on those but eventually a lot of people are getting to work outside of that compatibility list.

I'm one of them, running Pro Tools 7.4.2 with Mbox 2 Mini on Mac OSX Snow Leopard since day one.

Now I'm trying to upgrade to Mountain Lion and having some issue we may find the turnarounds for, right?

I upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and at the end of process I was advised that some software were moved to an Incompatible folder and PT was there...

I installed the Mbox 2 Mini drivers for standalone on Mountain Lion and tested the output with iTunes and is running OK. So bbquattro, it should work with the latest drivers even without PT installed, regardless of the software. Sure you got the Mbox_2_Mini_Driver_v90_69596.dmg file?

I've made all the settings for optimize the Mountain Lion system suggested from Avid.

Tried to run PT LE 7.4.2 and incredibly it loads even faster then in Snow Leopard.

Tried to open a session... it says that my External HD FW800 OWC Mercury Elite-Al Pro 1Tb 7200RPM HFS+ GUID is not a Valid Audio Volume (even if it's certified from Avid and it runs fine on Snow Leopard).

Tried Repairing Disk Permissions, removing Avid/Digidesign Database Folders, Pro Tools Preferences, rebooting and... same problem!

Just waiting on my new USB 3.0 HD to arrive and Back Up the content of my OWC so I can re-format (HFS+ or APM) as a last attempt but I'm reluctant to believe that that's the core of the problem... if it works I'll be back here to share.

I confess I have simply no patience for Windows anymore so I would run PT on Snow Leopard untill I get the money to upgrade to 10 or maybe 11 (64 bits maybe?)!

Good luck!
Gus

Eduarddepaz 01-29-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guspotenza (Post 1996453)
Hi there!

First of all, it's known that the compatibility grid provided from Avid doesn't mean it won't work, it just mean that they haven't tested nor supported or provided updates to run on those but eventually a lot of people are getting to work outside of that compatibility list.

I'm one of them, running Pro Tools 7.4.2 with Mbox 2 Mini on Mac OSX Snow Leopard since day one.

Now I'm trying to upgrade to Mountain Lion and having some issue we may find the turnarounds for, right?

I upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and at the end of process I was advised that some software were moved to an Incompatible folder and PT was there...

I installed the Mbox 2 Mini drivers for standalone on Mountain Lion and tested the output with iTunes and is running OK. So bbquattro, it should work with the latest drivers even without PT installed, regardless of the software. Sure you got the Mbox_2_Mini_Driver_v90_69596.dmg file?

I've made all the settings for optimize the Mountain Lion system suggested from Avid.

Tried to run PT LE 7.4.2 and incredibly it loads even faster then in Snow Leopard.

Tried to open a session... it says that my External HD FW800 OWC Mercury Elite-Al Pro 1Tb 7200RPM HFS+ GUID is not a Valid Audio Volume (even if it's certified from Avid and it runs fine on Snow Leopard).

Tried Repairing Disk Permissions, removing Avid/Digidesign Database Folders, Pro Tools Preferences, rebooting and... same problem!

Just waiting on my new USB 3.0 HD to arrive and Back Up the content of my OWC so I can re-format (HFS+ or APM) as a last attempt but I'm reluctant to believe that that's the core of the problem... if it works I'll be back here to share.

I confess I have simply no patience for Windows anymore so I would run PT on Snow Leopard untill I get the money to upgrade to 10 or maybe 11 (64 bits maybe?)!

Good luck!
Gus