Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Upgrade path too expensive (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403486)

starburst 02-20-2019 10:26 AM

Upgrade path too expensive
 
So my PT11 now won't import audio in High Sierra.
I don't do much work these days, just a hobby user and maybe used PT a few times last year. I'm not paying $300 to upgrade or going on a monthly subscription. I don't need any new features, PT11 was grand.
Now, if avid did a $99 upgrade fee I'd consider that every few years, instead I'm changing daw after 16 years.

EGS 02-20-2019 11:31 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by starburst (Post 2517232)
... PT11 was grand...

Use the OS version that was approved for PT 11.

starburst 02-20-2019 11:36 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
I'll use mixbus instead.

Southsidemusic 02-20-2019 01:04 PM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by starburst (Post 2517239)
I'll use mixbus instead.

OK!

Best of Luck

musicman691 02-22-2019 05:12 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by starburst (Post 2517232)
So my PT11 now won't import audio in High Sierra.
I don't do much work these days, just a hobby user and maybe used PT a few times last year. I'm not paying $300 to upgrade or going on a monthly subscription. I don't need any new features, PT11 was grand.
Now, if avid did a $99 upgrade fee I'd consider that every few years, instead I'm changing daw after 16 years.

Instead of using the menu item to import audio use drag and drop to an audio track from Finder - works for me with PT11.3.2 and Sierra OSX 10.12.6

The bigger question is why are you using High Sierra and how did you get it on your system? Did you do it the 'Apple Way' and just install it over whatever OSX was on the computer? I ask because I don't think you can even install PT11 on HS without mucking about in the installer.

The reason I'm running my system the way I am is because there were some plugins I wanted that needed higher than OSX 10.10.5. I researched the daylights out of it before going to Sierra; the only consistent one I found (for the way I work) was the import audio business and doing it via the menu item didn't work but drag & drop from Finder did.

starburst 02-23-2019 02:43 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
Hi Musicman, yes I got HS the apple way via regular update. I need to keep my mac updated for other reasons and software.
This plays into a bigger question regarding OS updates, personally, I do not think it right that I have to pay avid $300 in order to keep my OS updated and Pro Tools working correctly. It's the same with other software, Izotope RX for example. I bought it, a year or so later I had to pay $150 to keep it updated and running. Fair enough if you're a professional or using the software daily but to me, RX is a tool, I may need it once or twice a year so it's just not viable for me to keep paying. I wish these companies would offer up a better deal, as a promise to keep my version running for 5 years. Hell, I wouldn't mind paying Avid a small fee to keep pro tools 11 running on the current OS. I don't want the features of PT12 or newer, I just want to use what I paid for for more than a year without problems.
I note an email yesterday from Fabfilter who have just released version 3 of their EQ. I purchased version 1 5 or 6 years ago. The email tells me I am entitled to version 3 for free! Now there's a company who gets it and I would say they're actually being too generous, I'd happily pay a little fee for the upgrade!

Avid's business model is based on the idea of taking for granted Pro Tools is the only real kid on the block, a bit like Apple taking their customers for granted but as we are seeing, people do jump ship and discover the grass is greener and cheaper. Studio One seems to be culling a lot of longtime pro tools users and as I mentioned, Harrison Mixbus is very impressive for the money. The younger generation will not bother with pro tools, it's way overpriced and for long term users like me I feel I am being ripped off at every opportunity. Surely avid, $99 update is better than me jumping ship?

Thanks for your recommendation about the drop and dragging audio. It does indeed work for getting around the import bug! A fantastic suggestion.
Come on Avid, wake up!



Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2517421)
Instead of using the menu item to import audio use drag and drop to an audio track from Finder - works for me with PT11.3.2 and Sierra OSX 10.12.6

The bigger question is why are you using High Sierra and how did you get it on your system? Did you do it the 'Apple Way' and just install it over whatever OSX was on the computer? I ask because I don't think you can even install PT11 on HS without mucking about in the installer.

The reason I'm running my system the way I am is because there were some plugins I wanted that needed higher than OSX 10.10.5. I researched the daylights out of it before going to Sierra; the only consistent one I found (for the way I work) was the import audio business and doing it via the menu item didn't work but drag & drop from Finder did.


musicman691 02-23-2019 05:54 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
This is what happens when you go outside the compatibility of a particular PT version. Should have thought about that before updating to HS. You can't expect Avid to continue updating an old version of PT do you?

It may not be fair but Avid has to look at the costs of doing what you want. And they decided it wasn't worth it.

There's nothing that says you need to use the new stuff in the current PT version. You could ignore freeze and commit and VCA faders but think how much better that could make your workflow.

If you really needed to keep your OSX up to date you could have done what I and other users do and that is to have more than one boot partition on your system drive. Have PT on say OSX 10.10.5 and everything else on the HS partition. Save for Logic I don't know of any music s/w that needs HS.

Doing the OSX 'upgrade' like you did is NOT the way to go as in-situ OSX upgrades can lead to all kinds of incompatibilities as can using Migration Assassin. My guess is you probably have other music s/w that's giving you issues and not just PT.

Sardi 02-23-2019 06:20 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
I find it hard to believe you’re getting a free upgrade to ProQ v1 to v3. I own v2 and have to pay to upgrade. I think you may ha e read the email wrong.

As to your point about OS updates - have a dual boot machine. One OS for your older software and one for your newer stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starburst 02-23-2019 06:32 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2517518)
I find it hard to believe you’re getting a free upgrade to ProQ v1 to v3. I own v2 and have to pay to upgrade. I think you may ha e read the email wrong.

As to your point about OS updates - have a dual boot machine. One OS for your older software and one for your newer stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sardi, I stand corrected, upgrade from version 2 to 3 comes to me with a 65% discount. I did get a free upgrade from 1 to 2 and as I said, it's 5 or 6 years ago when I purchased version 1 so I cannot complain.

Yes, I could look at doing a dual boot. Do you know of any guides on how to do that? How do you get an old version of Mac OS?

starburst 02-23-2019 06:41 AM

Re: Upgrade path too expensive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2517517)
This is what happens when you go outside the compatibility of a particular PT version. Should have thought about that before updating to HS. You can't expect Avid to continue updating an old version of PT do you?

It may not be fair but Avid has to look at the costs of doing what you want. And they decided it wasn't worth it.

There's nothing that says you need to use the new stuff in the current PT version. You could ignore freeze and commit and VCA faders but think how much better that could make your workflow.

If you really needed to keep your OSX up to date you could have done what I and other users do and that is to have more than one boot partition on your system drive. Have PT on say OSX 10.10.5 and everything else on the HS partition. Save for Logic I don't know of any music s/w that needs HS.

Doing the OSX 'upgrade' like you did is NOT the way to go as in-situ OSX upgrades can lead to all kinds of incompatibilities as can using Migration Assassin. My guess is you probably have other music s/w that's giving you issues and not just PT.

I know you're not supposed to update the OS without checking but I just don't use Pro Tools enough to tiptoe around it. I don't think it's unreasonable for software companies to support their products for 5 years. Technically if you bought 11 and Apple update their OS 53 weeks later which breaks something and Avid have moved on to 12 you're screwed. It's not good enough and why can't they keep some low key development going and charge me $30 to keep it running? I guess it may damage their sales of future versions but that's another story.

No, I don't need track freeze and all that bollocks. PT is already bloated with so much clutter and features that get in the way of music. I prefered PT when it was version 6 and white lol.
I recently invested in a Zoom live track for my recording, sick of computers and screen, I just use the daw for mixing now. Mixbus cost me $19!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com