Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   new toy!! woohoo! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=93818)

mixit 01-10-2004 11:04 PM

new toy!! woohoo!

Just bought a 17" 1.33 GHz Powerbook (already upgraded the RAM to 1 Gig) and I'm LOVING it!! I transferred most of my files from my iBook via my firewire drive, but also did a few via my airport file sharing program just to see if I could get it to work.

Best thing is, all the sessions I was having problems with before are now up and running flawlessly. I've been mixing and editing all night with no problems, no slowing down, no hesitations. Beautiful!

Rail Jon Rogut 01-10-2004 11:08 PM

Re: new toy!! woohoo!

The easiest method to transfer files between Macs is to power them both down, hook them up via a FireWire cable and boot up the source system while holding down the T key to boot up in Target mode.. then boot up the destination Mac. The target mac will show up as a drive on the new Mac.

Rail

mixit 01-11-2004 07:34 AM

Really. . . That's good to know. Thanks!

South 01-11-2004 08:04 AM

Hi Rail, I thought I should mention that you don't have to power them both down. Just the one that you'd like to send to the other computer.

Once you are done, drag the drive to your trash, just like what you do with your external hard disk drive, and push the power button.

I'm glad that your power book is working great. How are the fans? Are they loud?

Rail Jon Rogut 01-11-2004 09:32 AM

South

Having had the bad luck to have both Macs smoke (and I mean really smoke) while connecting them up with the target powered down and the other not.. I highly recommend that they both be powered down.. At least Apple (eventually) agreed that I didn't do anything wrong and repaired both Macs free of charge even though one was out of warranty.

Rail

Henry Lee 01-11-2004 03:21 PM

Quote:

Just bought a 17" 1.33 GHz Powerbook (already upgraded the RAM to 1 Gig) and I'm LOVING it!! I transferred most of my files from my iBook via my firewire drive, but also did a few via my airport file sharing program just to see if I could get it to work.

Best thing is, all the sessions I was having problems with before are now up and running flawlessly. I've been mixing and editing all night with no problems, no slowing down, no hesitations. Beautiful!

Well, now that you mention it, I just purchased the same 17" 1.33 & 1GB of RAM and am LOVING it too. (And I haven't even installed LE / 002r on it yet!) Can't wait to see how it does with ProTools. I bought it in time for a Client Presentation and am just LOVING it. (VERY cool for presenting to 3-5 people while not having to lug anything else with you.)

In addition to all the other perks of the AL 17", it's kinda nice to have both FW 400 & 800 and the ability to utilize the 002r for a long time after FW400 is history. Plus, I couldn't wait for Apple to release a G5 Powerbook, Digi to support it, then wait for a Rev B, then wait another 6 months for PTLE Support. It would be like 2005 by then!

Figured I'd wait for new iMacs to move to a G5. Thankfully I can justify these expenses for my design biz.
Otherwise, I'd be on my 550 Tibook forever.

Cheers & thanks for sharing,
HL