Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dual Monitors with G4 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=9480)

Dr. J 11-23-2002 04:07 PM

Dual Monitors with G4

We just bought the new 867 dual processor G4. It comes with the AGP NVDA GeForce 4MX 32 mB video card.

We have hooked up one of our Mistubishi E85LCD screens to it via a DVI to VGA Apple adaptor.

How do we hook up the second monitor? The ADC is all that's left. Do we buy the ADC to DVI, then DVI to VGA adaptors, will that work, or do we do something else???

niklozt 11-23-2002 10:52 PM

Re: Dual Monitors with G4

Im getting ready to buy a new G4 to setup an HD system and have the same issue ... I was searching the forum and your post came up as 1 or 2 results for dual monitor... I know the new Nvidia card has both ADC/DVI ports and the [new]computer (G4) ships with an DVI/VGA adapter ...If I may digress from your question a bit and add quite simply another question:

Dual monitors: What card to use in OS9 & OSX.
Also extending the dispalys [DVI/VGA] at least 30 ft.

I currently have a Geffen setup with dual VGA's on the Appian card in G4/500. Also looking to buy two new 19' LCD's that have both DVI/VGA outputs. So the dual output card (for OSX) is my only issue.

But could someone sum up the options..

Thank you(everyone)in advance for all the info poured into this database that makes a lot of our lives much easier.

digiengineer 11-23-2002 11:07 PM

I don't know if this answers your questions, but I have 3 G4s (2-933 SP Quicksilvers w/Nvidia & 1-Dual 1 GHz with and ATI) all running 18" Sony LCDs. All 3 have Dr. Bott ADC to VGA cables and the 1 GHz has an Apple DVI to VGA cable supplied with the computer. I use Gefen CAT5-5000 dual monitor boxes and can do runs over 300 ft. Once the Gefens are tweaked right, they look pretty good. Hope this helps.

Dr. J 11-24-2002 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by digiengineer:
I don't know if this answers your questions, but I have 3 G4s (2-933 SP Quicksilvers w/Nvidia & 1-Dual 1 GHz with and ATI) all running 18" Sony LCDs. All 3 have Dr. Bott ADC to VGA cables and the 1 GHz has an Apple DVI to VGA cable supplied with the computer. I use Gefen CAT5-5000 dual monitor boxes and can do runs over 300 ft. Once the Gefens are tweaked right, they look pretty good. Hope this helps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok, so just to clarify, you are using a video card that has a DVI and an ADC output, just like ours. And you have the DVI to VGA adaptor from Apple that comes with the G4, just like us, but then you bought a ADC to VGA adaptor for the other ouput, and that works for dual monitors???

Because that's what i wanted to know if I could do. I want to just use this card that came with it, I just couldn't find an adaptor to go from ADC to VGA, they don't have one on the Mac site?

Where can I get one?

Dr. J 11-24-2002 04:23 PM

Never mind, I found it at drbott.com, for $34.00 and bought it immediately. Thanks for the info.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

digiengineer 11-24-2002 05:08 PM

Glad I could help.