Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   time compression on multiple tracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=16030)

KingTor 03-24-2000 11:17 AM

time compression on multiple tracks

First of all, let me say how awesome it is that I can do this in the first place: yesterday I had a 63 second radio spot that had been cut across 6 tracks. I wanted to squeeze all 6 tracks down to 60 seconds, so I unlinked the edit and timeline selections, marked all 6 tracks and all 63 seconds, dragged the pointer back to 60, and command-shift-U'd the whole thing. Bada-bing, I had a 60 seconds spot. Beautiful.

EXCEPT: everything got switched around to the wrong tracks. In other words, the audio from tracks 1&2 was on 5&6, the stuff on 3&4 was on 1&2, etc, etc. What's up with that?

By the way, this is PT5.0 on a 9600/300 with a mix and two vintage farms.

KingTor 03-27-2000 05:23 PM

Re: time compression on multiple tracks

could I at least get digi to comment on this?

it's not a big deal, but it is a bug nonetheless.

Jules 03-28-2000 02:40 AM

It'san iteresting topic, I think most of us that work with live drum kits are very interested in multi channel time strech....
Jules

KingTor 03-28-2000 11:38 AM

I haven't tried it with a drum kit, but it is awesome to be able to change the timing on 6 or 8 tracks with one keystroke -- too bad you have to move everything back to the track that it came from when you're done, though.

shawnosimpson 03-28-2000 07:09 PM

i used serato pitch n time to change the tempo of a whole track from 74bpm to 80bpm. i was amazed at how well it worked, this was the first time i've done that.

AvidCS 03-28-2000 07:17 PM

I don't see this documented, so we'll have to set it up and give it a look. I'll post more info if we can reproduce it.

Thanks for the report.

Bob

KingTor 03-30-2000 01:46 PM

thanks for the response, Bob. I'll be interested to see what you guys find.

DigiDawg 03-30-2000 08:07 PM

King,

I too work on a lot of radio spots and have run into similar problems. But, I'm not yet on 5.0 so this may be a moot point. My solution for this particular quandry came when I discovered phase errors when doing this kind of time shift over multiple tracks. The solution for me was to bypass all effects on the master fader and then bounce to disk/import into session the 63 second spot. At this point I would then re-instate the master fader plug-ins and time compress the resultant two track final mix to :60. No phase errors. But, no control over any parameters either. Hope that is of some help.

DigiDawg

KingTor 04-03-2000 02:57 PM

Dawg:

I'm trying to avoid just compressing the mix because (a) I need to keep a DA88 with stems, (b) I'm mixing on a console, so to get the mix back into protools isn't as easy as a master fader, and (c) it's just plain cool to be able to compress multiple tracks before mixing, not to mention that it means you hear the compressed tracks the whole time you're mixing instead of not really knowing until after the mix is over how it's going to sound sped up. I haven't run into any phase problems at all, but I'm not really dealing with anything that would give me phase problems like multiple drum tracks. The only problem that I've had is things ending up on different tracks from where they started. Any news on that front, digi?

DigiDawg 04-03-2000 04:54 PM

SoOunds complex, Tor. It would be nice to keep those stems as you mentioned. Hope that Digi can get you some answers.

Best o luck,

Dawg