Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2019.12 Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407656)

uptheoctave 12-19-2019 03:54 PM

Re: 2019.12 Discussion

Working great on 2019 Mac Pro.

innesireinar 12-19-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonkalman (Post 2548335)
Just my opinion, but if you are in the middle of a project and you don't have the time to mess with workarounds or plugin issues, I would stay put on Mojave PT 2019.10. No sense in doing QA work for Avid when you have work to do. I have no idea which plugs are 32 and which are 64 and quite frankly I don't care. I figure all of this will be sorted out by the middle of next year (3rd party companies should all be compatible by then) and Avid should have a more stable version for Catalina. Right now there are too many known issues. I read the release notes and it was mostly a laundry list of known issues. That doesn't give me any confidence to update at the moment. I would say, if you are running fine on Mojave, update at your own risk, good news is you can always revert back to Mojave and PT 2019.10 so in that sense, it really isn't a huge issue, just time potentially wasted.

In my opinion the way to go is to have two separate partitions. One for working and the other for testing new stuff

PasteEater 12-19-2019 04:17 PM

Just installed 2019.12 on a brand new (cheesegrater) Mac Pro. PT seems fine for strictly audio workflows, but it's nearly useless for me, as I do post-production and need the video abilities to work. Anyone heard any rumors of when PT will be fully compatible with Catalina? I obviously can't downgrade the new machine to Mojave, so I'm stuck doing all of my production work on my old Mac Pro trashcan. It's like getting a new Ferrari, driving it around the block and parking it in the garage to sit.

audiobob 12-19-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonkalman (Post 2548335)
Just my opinion, but if you are in the middle of a project and you don't have the time to mess with workarounds or plugin issues, I would stay put on Mojave PT 2019.10. No sense in doing QA work for Avid when you have work to do. I have no idea which plugs are 32 and which are 64 and quite frankly I don't care. I figure all of this will be sorted out by the middle of next year (3rd party companies should all be compatible by then) and Avid should have a more stable version for Catalina. Right now there are too many known issues. I read the release notes and it was mostly a laundry list of known issues. That doesn't give me any confidence to update at the moment. I would say, if you are running fine on Mojave, update at your own risk, good news is you can always revert back to Mojave and PT 2019.10 so in that sense, it really isn't a huge issue, just time potentially wasted.

You can install 2019.12 on a Mojave machine and not have to worry about the 32/64 issues. You don't need Catalina to run it. I did on a 10.14.6 Mini and it's working fine so far. Have both 2019.10 installed as well just in case.

21 Junipers 12-19-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PasteEater (Post 2548344)
Just installed 2019.12 on a brand new (cheesegrater) Mac Pro. PT seems fine for strictly audio workflows, but it's nearly useless for me, as I do post-production and need the video abilities to work. Anyone heard any rumors of when PT will be fully compatible with Catalina? I obviously can't downgrade the new machine to Mojave, so I'm stuck doing all of my production work on my old Mac Pro trashcan. It's like getting a new Ferrari, driving it around the block and parking it in the garage to sit.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I saw a note from Pro-Tools Expert regarding using "Video Slave 4" to address this issue.

I followed their link and noticed the vendor offers two versions. It looks like there are demo versions for both Video Slave 4 and Video Slave Pro. You can subscribe or buy a perpetual license.

Might be an option for you or somebody else. Disclaimer: I have no relationship to Pro Tools Expert or the software vendor. I have not uses/tested. Simply trying to be helpful.

Southsidemusic 12-19-2019 05:45 PM

tried 3-4 songs with 125-150 tracks with somewhere around 50 VI and as usual alot of automizations and plugins but many bounce’d audio aswell with the awesome outboard gear and 2019.12 runs like a champ on both Trashcans with 10.14.6 and 10.13.6 both PT Ultimate and 12 core 64GB Ram with 1TB internal SSD’s and Tbolt SSD’s.

I should mention half of the plugins are UAD-2 and runs DSP from X8P’s and Satellite Octo and Quad.

grayter1 12-19-2019 07:16 PM

No issues here. I'm trying to break it with Omnisphere, and while the CPU usage is still higher than I'd like, after a cursory look, it appears to handle VI's a bit better.

This is all anecdotal, of course. YMMV...

tg

Southsidemusic 12-19-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobob (Post 2548346)
You can install 2019.12 on a Mojave machine and not have to worry about the 32/64 issues. You don't need Catalina to run it. I did on a 10.14.6 Mini and it's working fine so far. Have both 2019.10 installed as well just in case.

We run 2019.12 ultimate on macOS 10.13.6 and I even tried on Sierra 10.12.6 and worked grrrrrreat!

This version looks very promising as long as you dont have Catalina and do video.

Pingafuego 12-20-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nedorama (Post 2548272)
installed and after updating all the plugins through Avid Link, I'm getting the dreaded solid blue Stop and flashing green play. Will trash preferences and try again, both with Eleven Rack and internal speakers. If that doesn't work I'll delete Pro Tools and do a fresh install.

Update - Internal speakers work fine, it's the Eleven Rack. Will see online if Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 v2 is supported and may need to switch to that.

Hopefully the Eleven Rack drivers are updated shortly, but I know that it was time for a new I/O in 2020...

Did you upgrade the OS to Catalina? Is the Eleven Rack compatible with the new Pro Tools Version?

Thanks

Southsidemusic 12-20-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pingafuego (Post 2548493)
Did you upgrade the OS to Catalina? Is the Eleven Rack compatible with the new Pro Tools Version?

Thanks

Yeah tried on my personal Mac Pro as our new 2019/2020 Mac Pro’s are do for delivery Jan 3rd and we needed to know what works and what doesn’t in this initial release as the new Macs comes with Catalina. We ran it on a new SSD drive.

And Eleven Rack is a no right now.

http://duc.avid.com/announcement.php?f=&a=135